Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
michaellittle88

Vehicle: 2000 Ford Mustang GT
Default Low Coolant Light On

Ok, I've been fighting my coolant light now for about three weeks. First it came on after I put coolant in the reservoir and stayed on. I posted a forum and someone said it could be my thermostat, so i replaced it (drained all coolant out of radiator and refilled) and it helped my car warm up, but thats it......Then, three days after I changed the thermostat the light randomly went off. Now, when i start the car the light is off. The only time it comes on is when i've been driving and I shut it off and come back within ten minutes (while car is still warm) and start it, it'll be on. Any suggestions?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
michaellittle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2002 Chevy powered Ford

When the light is on unplug the coolant level sensor and see if it goes off. If it does, you have a bad sensor. Just keep it unplugged, it's only an idiot light.

H/C/I LSX, built RMVB 4l65E --- "Muttstang"
Xemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
michaellittle88

Already tried it! Still on...........
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Dudewright0715
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 ford mustang gt

My girlfriends car (00 gt) does the same thing! The light won't go away. And it's been on forever!
Dudewright0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
michaellittle88

Ya, mine's a 00 gt and it stayed on consistently until i changed the thermostat and drained all the coolant. Now it only comes on when the car is warm and i shut it off then turn it back on......might be a temp sensor or something, thats what I've been told anyways. It's super annoying, i know that lol.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Vehicle: 98 Cobra

The sensor is built into the bottom of the degas bottle. I dont think its replacable. Its a design that runs off ohm readings. Junkyard a new bottle = problem fixed lol. That is if the circuit is still good
WhiteFoxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
lizzyfan
Underboss

Vehicle: 98 GT Blumurder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT View Post
The sensor is built into the bottom of the degas bottle. I dont think its replacable. Its a design that runs off ohm readings. Junkyard a new bottle = problem fixed lol. That is if the circuit is still good
I had the same issue
Went with an aftermarket tank that had no place to plug sensor so just unplugged it, no more light haha

540 rwhp 477 tq
Vortech SQ to T-trim upgrade
MHS Stage 2 heads/cams
Tuned by Matt at Performance Evolution
11.055@129 MPH 1.75 60'
lizzyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
michaellittle88

I've unplugged the sensor light and the coolant light is still on...which means its not the sensor at the bottom of the degas bottle!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1995, 2000, coolant, ford, gt, light, low, mustand, mustang, radiator, reservoir, sensor, shut, taurus, warning