4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

04 GT replacing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 PM
jdolan1291

Default 04 GT replacing fuel pump

Whatsup guys and girls, I have an 04 gt thats been in the garage since January and with the weather being nicer I went to fire it off recently and it died after running for 5 secs or so. Ive narrowed it down to the fuel pump being shot and never done an in-tank pump before so had a few questions...its got a half tank of fuel in it and because of the anti siphon these cars have im not sure how i can drain any of it. Would it be that bad to drop a half tank just using a floor jack?

Also, Ive been reading that one of the steps is to make sure the fuel lines are depressurized before removing the fuel filter...in this case because ive been cranking the engine and the fuel pump is shot does that mean the lines already have no pressure? May seem like a dumb question but i just want to make sure im not gonna get doused in gas when i take the filter off. Any other good tips for doing a fuel pump are much appreciated. Thanks for any and all help!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

First I think 02 and up have a Schroeder valve on the fuel rail, depress it just like you would I tire valve stem.

If not the fuel pump switch sometimes referred to as an inertia switch, which shuts off fuel to the engine in the event of a collision, makes for an easy means of to relieve fuel pressure.

The switch is in the trunk, unplug the switch, start the car run until it stalls, pressure should be relieved.

If the car doesn’t start Hmmm, that could be a problem. In this case go get a hose key and disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail, at least the gas wont drip on you.

You can siphon you just need a small diameter hose.

Couple of preliminary checks you should do before you remove the tank:
Check battery voltage, a low battery can do some funny things

Check/replace fuel filter

Check for leaks.

Check to see if the pump is working, take the gas cap off have someone turn the key to the on position you should hear a brief whirring sound for about one second.

If no noise check fuel pump fuse

If fuse is good check CCRM (constant control relay module)

Reset inertia switch.

Good luck

Last edited by WJL; 03-22-2017 at 05:58 PM.