4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cuts off while driving!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 AM
abranger82

Exclamation Cuts off while driving!!

Ok so this just started about a week ago. I will be driving down the road and my mustang will just cut off, like someone turned off the key. RPMS and Speed go to zero, and the Odometer goes to little lines.

I did change out the factory radio about 2 weeks ago, and also one of the simulators broke off of the right back 02 sensor. Usually when it cuts off I can throw it in neutral and it will crank back up, but this morning i t wouldn't.

i have noticed that sometimes after I crank it up and start driving that the PATS light will be blinking. Could this be causing it, and if so was it from me changing out the radio?

I ordered the Sniper tuner kit and as soon as I receive it I will be disabling the PATS, will this solve the issue?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
fordforlife0225
4th Gear Member

pats???

it may very well be your idle air control valve.

its about a 70 dollar part on your engine that is a common failure on these year fords.
if the car does it again try and put it in neutral and rev it up, keep the rpms at about 1000-1500 by using the pedal. if when you let of the pedal the car cuts off then yes... it is probably your IAC valve
\
good luck
Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
abranger82

Thanks ill try that, PATS- Passive Anti-Theft System.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by abranger82
Ok so this just started about a week ago. I will be driving down the road and my mustang will just cut off, like someone turned off the key. RPMS and Speed go to zero, and the Odometer goes to little lines.

I did change out the factory radio about 2 weeks ago, and also one of the simulators broke off of the right back 02 sensor. Usually when it cuts off I can throw it in neutral and it will crank back up, but this morning i t wouldn't.

i have noticed that sometimes after I crank it up and start driving that the PATS light will be blinking. Could this be causing it, and if so was it from me changing out the radio?

I ordered the Sniper tuner kit and as soon as I receive it I will be disabling the PATS, will this solve the issue?
If you turn off PATS in the tune the Theft light will be on continuously. Shutting it off in the tune tells the PCM to allow the car to start and run however as a "warning" that is has been disabled the light will be permanently on.

I would check and double check the wiring for your new radio, it sounds to me as though something is cross-wired and/or improperly connected. Where the problem was intermittent, and then this morning permanent makes me think there may be a bad/partially unplugged connection that was making partial contact and has now opened.

The odometer displaying only dashes usually indicates that it's "hot-at-all-times" power has been interrupted, this is also the same circuit that supplies always on +12V to the PCM for it's volatile RAM; aka KAM, Keep Alive Memory.

When you were able to start the car after it had died did the gauges "sweep" all the way to the max and then back to zero when you turned the key on?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

check your grounds, one night i hit a pothole and my lights and radio went dead for a few seconds. when i checked it out and my terminals were loose and corroded with white fluffy ****
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM
abranger82

No the gauges didn't sweep when I restarted. I will pull the radio again and check the connections. When the car is idling it goes between 200 and 1100 RPMS before it shuts off. Then when I try to restart it won't start immediatly, it takes a few tries and you ca smell gas like it flooded itself.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Roberto Soto

Default Similar problem

[QUOTE=abranger82;7397312]Ok so this just started about a week ago. I will be driving down the road and my mustang will just cut off, like someone turned off the key. RPMS and Speed go to zero, and the Odometer goes to little lines.

I ordered the Sniper tuner kit and as soon as I receive it I will be disabling the PATS, will this solve the issue?[/QUOTE Did you find the problem. I'm having the same problem with my 00 gt