4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

awful clutch cable/clutch fork vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:45 AM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

Default awful clutch cable/clutch fork vibration

i have written maybe the most clutch threads ever, but this one is different...

since around december or november, there has been the most annoying vibration in the clutch pedal. obviously, something is very wrong in my transmission somewhere.
-i loosened my clutch adjuster all the way down to where it is completely screwed in, hoping that the TOB was just riding the pressure plate, or clutch fingers, or whatever it is that it would be coming into contact with, and giving the cable more play would maybe make it stop.
-after that, the end of my clutch cable would vibrate on the quadrant! ALL THE TIME! under braking it was the loudest and worst, but even idling at a stoplight, in 5th gear at 70 mph, there would be this clicking vibration coming from the clutch pedal on the metal quadrant.
-i tried tightening it a tiny bit.. like 5 clicks, and put it back in with the cable..... same thing.... i push the pedal in maybe 3 inches and i can feel a terrible, terrible throbbing in the clutch pedal. pushing it in a tiny bit i can feel the vibration. with my foot on the BRAKE, i can feel it!!!!!!!
-clutch engagement in 1st is just ugly. sometimes it's smooth, but usually it's a confused, sloppy engagement, and it doesn't feel solid.
-my reasoning on this is a throwout bearing. how much do those cost to replace including labor? i'm pretty sure the clutch is fine... so i'm not going to mess with that.

can anybody help me diagnose this problem?
Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 AM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

another couple points...

i took the tranny inspection cover off, and turned the car on, and the clutch fork was vibrating as well. i moved the fork around slightly with my hand and could hear squeaking sounds, and moving it forward more (as if the clutch pedal was being pushed in) and it vibrated WAY more...

the fork moves a lot. i can move it side to side, and backwards. when i move it backwards, it abruptly stops, and moving it forward again requires some force. it seems like something is wrong.....
Old 02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You are going to need to pull the tranny to see what's up--something in the bell housing, the operating lever, TOB, pressure plate, etc. is worn-out.damaged.

Do it before you get stranded...

What clutch are you running?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

stock clutch....

i may not have enough money to fix it all right this minute. i think it might be able to last a while longer if i baby the thing i'm hoping until i am sure i will be able to afford it.

worst-case scenario, what do you think would have to be fixed? and best-case scenario?

would picking up a used transmission be a better route at this point?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

My 98 was doing the same thing. The TOB retainer was broken and not keeping the TOB centered. I temp fixed it by epoxying a metal piece under the clutch fork where it came out of the bell housing, thus centering the TOB.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

JC, is there any way to write up some instructions on how to do it? do i have to pull the tranny? is it an easy enough fix for someone who isn't a professional?
Old 02-03-2011, 04:37 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Im willing to bet the TOB is trashed. I put a zoom hd clutch in my buddy's 94 cobra and within a week there was a horrible vibration from the clutch fork. The TOB was shot already
Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

i don't think it's completely shot. driving it home from class tonight it went into gear decently, although sometimes i got the weird takeoff i get sometimes. like a vibration kind of that i can feel in the seat and it just doesn't go into gear right away. it slips sort of and feels rough. it happens in other gears too

a bit of lag is felt sometimes right when i get into first gear and sometimes other gears too.
maybe that's a sign it could be shot? could that potentially hurt the performance of the car?

when i give it a bit of extra gas and seem to take out the clutch perfectly going into gears, it feels good. sometimes i feel the same lag, but not nearly as often.

i seem to think the TOB isn't centering, causing that feeling. if it was in one spot, i think it would feel a good bit better.

ideas? thoughts?
Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by evanjp
JC, is there any way to write up some instructions on how to do it? do i have to pull the tranny? is it an easy enough fix for someone who isn't a professional?
It's easy, you get under the car, take the inspection cover off, then lift the fork up and slide the metal piece under it. Epoxy it in place. Transmission stays in the car.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by evanjp
i don't think it's completely shot. driving it home from class tonight it went into gear decently, although sometimes i got the weird takeoff i get sometimes. like a vibration kind of that i can feel in the seat and it just doesn't go into gear right away. it slips sort of and feels rough. it happens in other gears too

a bit of lag is felt sometimes right when i get into first gear and sometimes other gears too.
maybe that's a sign it could be shot? could that potentially hurt the performance of the car?

when i give it a bit of extra gas and seem to take out the clutch perfectly going into gears, it feels good. sometimes i feel the same lag, but not nearly as often.

i seem to think the TOB isn't centering, causing that feeling. if it was in one spot, i think it would feel a good bit better.

ideas? thoughts?
Speculating as to what might be awry inside of a "box" you cannot see in to, that will have to be opened to correct the problem anyway, is a rather silly exercise.

Even if the extended conjecture did happen upon the correct cause, other than the dubious "epoxy" fix, the "box" will have to be opened to correct the problem. Beyond this diagnosis of the cause will be greatly simplified and much more accurate once the "box" is open and its contents visible.

You've got a 9-year old car with the stock clutch (how many miles?), just pull the tranny, replace the whole shebang while you have it open, and be done with it...

Quick Reply: awful clutch cable/clutch fork vibration