4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Noob question about cams.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i wasnt tryin to disrespect you or anything, i was just sayin.
if you really want to save gas with the stang, like i said, go with a lower gear ratio. you could maybe get a T56 viper spec with .50 6th gear, with some 2.73's. that'd get you some MPG pickup on the highway, but you'd spend a ton in cash and down time before hand. but honestly, by the time you do all that, you'd be better off just buyin another beater car to putt around in and get 30-35 mpg without having to give it a second thought.

i was gettin about 225-245 miles a tank constantly(11-12 gallons), A/C on, 75-80 mph highway. with about 8-12 times per tank hitting 8lbs of boost for a couple seconds to get away from toll booths/on-ramps. this was with 3.73's and turbo. of course the turbo's a whole different beast since it doesnt cause much if any drag during low load operations.

its really hard to tell you how much it would drop, because there's just too many variables, how big of a cam you go, how good your tune is, how hard you are on the pedal, gears + trans, climate. it will all contribute to your gas milage. maybe you could try one of those Hydrogen generators? one guy around here was claimin he picked up some MPG with one of those on his miata.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:26 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
This is once I've built it of course and to 98 red stang I know what I got. I had it tuned for good gas mileage. I was driving 55mph, windows up, cruise control on, and A/C off. Get my mods and tune it for gas mileage and THEN you can tell me I'm lying. I didn't start this thread to argue with you. I have a question and I want info on it. Plain and simple. If you don't want to contribute than get lost so I can read the responses of less judgmental people who are willing to help me get knowledge on the subject matter.
Hey buddy why dont you relax. You just started on here and if this is gonna be your attitude to people no one is going to help you. I have a lot more respect on here and know a hell of a lot more than you. Im not trying to argue but since you started it. I dont care what your tuned for everyone on here will agree that theres no way in hell your getting anywhere near 35. I dont care if you were rolling downhill with the windows up in neutral. All i was saying is there is no way you got 35mpg. Not trying to pick a fight so relax.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Fox466
1st Gear Member

Agreed with that last post, and also raising the BS flag. My 00 with a D1SC and 42lb injectors was re-tuned last month and I'm lucky to get 12 with a tail wind. I only wish that I could get better mileage...

OP, what size injectors are you running?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

If you got money for a blower and to install cams what is 2-3 mpg's. If your DD and you looking for mpgs don't add blower cams. Also, blower cams sound much different than n/a cams. Therefore only way to obtain choppy idle with blower cams is to go with a stage III or custom grind. Depending on manufacturer you may need to fly cut your pistons.

With my set-up I see 12 mpg's but a tad different than your setup.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_NTriangle
If you got money for a blower and to install cams what is 2-3 mpg's. If your DD and you looking for mpgs don't add blower cams. Also, blower cams sound much different than n/a cams. Therefore only way to obtain choppy idle with blower cams is to go with a stage III or custom grind. Depending on manufacturer you may need to fly cut your pistons.

With my set-up I see 12 mpg's but a tad different than your setup.
I have the money but just like everyone else here I have a goal. Apparently my goal is different than everyone else's but I'm determined to achieve my goal. It's not impossible to achieve this and I know it. I know city MPG may not change much but I know I can do something about highway mpg. It always takes someone to be the lab rat to try what no one else wants to try (or so it seems but I could be wrong) because it's harder to achieve. Anything worth doing in life is difficult. This is why I'm shooting for the stars and will stop at nothing to achieve it because most people quit when they're closest to achieving their goals. I will not be a statistic. I know it can be done and with the great knowledge I've obtained from this site and the great people that inhabit it I know I can achieve my goals.