Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 mustang gt
Default Noob question about cams.

Ok. Cams sound sexy. Lets get that out of the air. Hence why I want them. Now here's my question that I couldn't find answers too by using the search button or calling manufacturers. I understand that when you're stepping on it that cams make you waste more gas. I'm cool with that but the one thing that no one can seem to answer to me is that when I'm not stepping on it and I'm just driving around normally (because my car is a daily driver) will it make me waste more gas or will I have the same gas mileage as before? I know that a lot of people aren't concerned with this but if you're going to daily drive a car its got to get decent gas mileage. I get about 250miles out of a tank in my GT and it's got a procharger P-1SC stage 2 kit on it and when I drive it normally I still get 18 city/25-35 highway.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
BBK Longtube ceramic coated headers
BBK off road X-pipe
Borla cat-back exhaust
BBK 78mm throttle body/ plenum
MMR 1-5/8 full length subframe connectors
Dual Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauges
Drag suspension/ Nitto 555R's/ rear seat delete
Anderson power pipe
Dragonus18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Mustang GT and 04 Mustang V6

Yes your mpg will get worse if you are getting on WOT or not. Be more when on WOT all the time but even driving conservative, mpg will be down a bit with cams.

A lot depends on which cams you get though. I put the Comp Thumpr cams in my 06 GT and my mpg dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchi View Post
Yes your mpg will get worse if you are getting on WOT or not. Be more when on WOT all the time but even driving conservative, mpg will be down a bit with cams.

A lot depends on which cams you get though. I put the Comp Thumpr cams in my 06 GT and my mpg dropped 1 to 1.5 mpg.
I was looking at getting blower cams since I have a procharger kit on my stang. I called trickflow and the guy told me that stage 2 cams don't kill gas during normal driving conditions "he thinks." I need to be certain before I put them on because once I put them on there's no going back and I do a decent amount of driving. I need my MPG.
BBK off road X-pipe
Borla cat-back exhaust
Anderson power pipe
Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Mustang GT and 04 Mustang V6

I think a lot of that simple has to do with that duration the cam spec are running. I know Brenspeed came out with some Detroit Rocker cams ground specifically for blowers but how that application relates to the mpg, I dunno to be honest.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchi View Post
I think a lot of that simple has to do with that duration the cam spec are running. I know Brenspeed came out with some Detroit Rocker cams ground specifically for blowers but how that application relates to the mpg, I dunno to be honest.
I appreciate the feedback and honesty. Is there someone else out there that knows perhaps?????
BBK off road X-pipe
Borla cat-back exhaust
Anderson power pipe
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2000 Camaro SS

Depending on the amount of overlap, duration, etc, gas mileage will decrease a bit. It's just a byproduct of the design. When i did mine, my MPG's dropped a little, but i didn't buy the car for economy lol.

What cams are you looking at besides Trick Flow?
2000 Camaro SS, 6-speed with 4.10's, Pacesetter long tubes, ORY pipe, Magnaflow 14419 w/FM merge, forged TMS 370 LQ9, TSP stage 2.5/5.3 (862) heads, TMS custom cam, LS6 intake, SLP lid, ASP UD crank pulley, ported stock TB, SSRA, LS2/LS6 MAF, Detroit Truetrack with stock 10 bolt, custom tune, NX wet kit w/125 shot, chrome ZR1 rims with BFG dr's
mrtstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang GT

I remember when I was researching getting a stage 2 heads and cam combo from MHS, Nick told me I should expect about a 2mpg loss in the city.. so I would assume cams by themselves wouldnt exceed that

Flow Super 44's, Summit Racing O/R H, SCT Eliminator, tuned 93 octane, FRPP 3.73s, MGW STS, H&R SS, Tokico Shocks/Struts, Bullitt Front&Rear Sways, 70mm TB/Plenum

Member #004
HasABetterSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998, Ford Mustang

depends on the cam and theres no way you get 35 highway sorry...

70 trim garret
XE 274 comp cams
P&P heads w/oversize valves
5.0 Forged Teksid Stroker
Victory Jr. Intake
4.10s/Pro 5.0/31 Moser rear
Custom turbo manifolds
3 in downpipe
MM-LCAs-SFCs
Eibach Drag Springs
Lakewood 90/10 Struts
Hoosier Slicks on weld draglites
soon to come:
8 point cage
98redstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #9
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

check out MHS for cams (www.modularheadshop.com)
you gotta pay to play. your willing to pay the expense for cams and yet are worried about MPG?
IMO, spend the 600-1000 you'd spend on cams and buy a POS honda or something to save gas. or swap to a lower gear ratio.

blower cams wont be as aggressive as you might think either. nothing like some good N/A cams. you'll need to be careful with too aggressive a cam too, because you can push the valve into the top of the piston. dunno how much boost your pushin with your p1sc either, but you might be very close to the limit of a stock block, unless you've built it.
MMR750, MHS stage 1 heads, stage 2 turbo cams, Spec stage 2+
Megasquirt firing LS1 truck coils. Edelbrock Vic Jr & Holley 4778 Carb.
She Breathes!

1989 Camaro RS, 305 TBI, 700r4 - few mods, current DD
next project... (LQ4 swap, megasquirt, ford 8.8, and double wishbone front-end?)
zero2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2005 View Post
check out MHS for cams (www.modularheadshop.com)
you gotta pay to play. your willing to pay the expense for cams and yet are worried about MPG?
IMO, spend the 600-1000 you'd spend on cams and buy a POS honda or something to save gas. or swap to a lower gear ratio.

blower cams wont be as aggressive as you might think either. nothing like some good N/A cams. you'll need to be careful with too aggressive a cam too, because you can push the valve into the top of the piston. dunno how much boost your pushin with your p1sc either, but you might be very close to the limit of a stock block, unless you've built it.
This is once I've built it of course and to 98 red stang I know what I got. I had it tuned for good gas mileage. I was driving 55mph, windows up, cruise control on, and A/C off. Get my mods and tune it for gas mileage and THEN you can tell me I'm lying. I didn't start this thread to argue with you. I have a question and I want info on it. Plain and simple. If you don't want to contribute than get lost so I can read the responses of less judgmental people who are willing to help me get knowledge on the subject matter.
BBK off road X-pipe
Borla cat-back exhaust
Anderson power pipe
Old 02-03-2011, 10:26 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1999, cam, cams, camshafts, gas, gt, lose, make, mpg, mustang, mutha, sexy, sound, stage, thumper, waste