4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

driveshaft grinding noise

Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Default driveshaft grinding noise

hey everyone, well yesterday when I accelerated (not even that hard) I could here my drive shaft grinding on something or what seems to be my drive shaft grinding on something. It happens in reverse also, I really haven't had a chance to look under it i might be able to early this morning but not certain.

Also when Im taking turns while accelerating it also happens. I had my rear end gears backlash calibrated to spec this past summer so I don't think its the rear end ??

Im thinking maybe its my u joints on my Al drive shaft because when I hammer it the car almost hesitates for 1/2 a second at the begging of every gear and i feel the car go forward but i'm not moving for a split second. Kind of like something is binding up in the drive-train. I thought maybe the u joints are flexing under load and binding up? the weird thing is i went under there a few months back and I could not physically get the drive shaft to move in any direction.

Another thing that makes me think it may be my U-Joints is my shifter rattles at a certain rpm (3Kish) in every gear.

I know the best way is to look under there but I might not be able to for a few days and im trying to get some ideas.

Rear control arm bushings maybe?

help me out guys, I apologize for my sporadic post im just typing as im thinking.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

also i had to swap out my transmission mount this past summer because it was barely hanging on. I checked my passenger side motor in my hand and it seemed fine so im guessing the drivers side is too.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
also i had to swap out my transmission mount this past summer because it was barely hanging on. I checked my passenger side motor in my hand and it seemed fine so im guessing the drivers side is too.
Just because one motor mount is good by no means makes the other one good as well, check the mounts again and also see if it appears its rubbing against anything, if the noise is coming from the end of the driveshaft on the pumpkin its probably a pinion bearing, is there any gear fluid leaking from the pinion seal?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Just because one motor mount is good by no means makes the other one good as well, check the mounts again and also see if it appears its rubbing against anything, if the noise is coming from the end of the driveshaft on the pumpkin its probably a pinion bearing, is there any gear fluid leaking from the pinion seal?
well Ill take a look. I know the pinion bearing is also new installed this past summer, the car gets barely driven. But I will look for leaking.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

so i figured out the grinding noise i had knocked the exhaust loose yesterday when I backed up into some ice and it was twisting enough to grind on the drive shaft. Still stumped on the hesitation issue. everything looks good bushings etc. absolutely no play on the drive shaft except a little rotation maybe 5 deg of rotation if that with the wheels on the ground and not in gear. Next step is the motor mounts
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

also my IAC valve is cracked from me over tightening the bolt you think this might be causing the hesitation? it idles fine.