4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake light on dash has a mind of its own help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
ruskiparin

Default Brake light on dash has a mind of its own help!

I have a 1996 Mustang GT 5 speed. The red brake light on the dash stays light usually, then randomly turns off completely (even when brake is up), seems like it has a mind of its own. Sometimes after I hit a bump in the road it will turn off. It's very random. Im assuming it might be some kind of sensor or a loose cable? Any thoughts?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Have you bothered to check the brake fluid level? Your probably low, which means you probably need new brake pads
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
ruskiparin

I haven't checked it, thanks for the advice I'll have to do that. Though my brakes seem fine.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Have you bothered to check the brake fluid level? Your probably low, which means you probably need new brake pads
you should start gettin paid for your advice snoop doug, u save these kids alotta dough with ur advice.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Its this stupid wire that's attached to the metal of the ebrake handle inside the center console, mine did the same thing, when the lights on jigle the ebrake handle and if it goes on or off or flickers that's def it
Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 PM
ruskiparin

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Its this stupid wire that's attached to the metal of the ebrake handle inside the center console, mine did the same thing, when the lights on jigle the ebrake handle and if it goes on or off or flickers that's def it
I think you hit it right on the money. So how to I fix this? Take the center console out then what? Is it cause the wire is loose, bad connection, do I need to replace it? What did you do? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by ruskiparin
I think you hit it right on the money. So how to I fix this? Take the center console out then what? Is it cause the wire is loose, bad connection, do I need to replace it? What did you do? Thanks.
All it is is a wire with a metal connection on it, when you pull the ebrake handle up it makes contact with metal thus tripping the light, when the bolt backs out and it gives it room to wiggle around occasionaly it will come in contact with something metal even when the handle is down and trip the light, its held on my pretty much a sheet metal bolt, when you take off the center console you'll see it, just tighten it down or if the bolt came all the way otu just look for it and screw it back, when you see it you'lll notice how it works.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If you can't figure it out before the weekend I'll snap a picture off it saturday and post it sat night, my center console is currently out cause I was swapping my dash out. PS: Put some low strength locktite on it, for somereason once it backs out it likes to keep backing out.

Last edited by uberstang1; 02-24-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
ruskiparin

I dig thanks a lot man I appreciate the advice. If you could snap a photo, if its not too much trouble it would be greatly appreciated. Another question does your coolant light go on and off randomly? I was told this is common for SN95's. Though I had a new edge GT before and never had this issue. Similar motor but not the exact same, plus that car was newer so I guess they act differently. Anyway thanks for you help again, its much appreciated.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:34 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Why not just check your brake fluid. It takes 5 seconds, and is most likely your issue. The reservoir has a fluid level sensor. When fluid is low, the brake light comes on.

My guess, the fluid level is at, or just below the sensor. When you make a turn or hit a bump, the fluid splashes on the sensor and the light goes off until the fluid isn't touching the sensor anymore.

Quick Reply: Brake light on dash has a mind of its own help!