4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Procharger advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

I can tell you that the piping that goes to the throttle body/ plenum is 3 inch because I installed a bbk 78mm throttle body/ plenum and I had to get an adapter to fit the procharger tubing onto the bigger throttle body and I had to get a 3 inch to a 3 1/4 inch. I have a procharger P-1SC stage 2 kit which is what you have but it came with the 3 row intercooler. Everyone is right in saying that you need colder spark plugs, an upgraded fuel pump ( I used the Ford GT fuel pump so that way if I want more power down the road and I do already I can use that in my fuel system upgrade because the focus fuel pump is ONLY enough for the basic system which you have and has no potential as soon as you try to go higher), and for sure you need 42lb injectors. You WILL need to get a custom tune because when you install that supercharger your car is going to run like *** until you tune it. It won't even be drivable. I got a safe tune and the mods I had at the time were long tube header, high flow X pipe, and Borla cat back exhaust and I made 353HP and 383 RWTQ. I was on a 10lb pulley but since I had those mods done I only made 7-8 lbs. Now this was a BENEFIT because the SAME amount of air was going through the engine but it was having an easier time doing so. Think of it like this. Imagine taking a VERY deep breath and blowing through a straw. Now imagine taking that SAME deep breath and blowing into a straw 5x the size. Wouldn't it be easier for your breath to travel through the bigger straw? Well my exhaust basically did that for me so if you have any mods done to your car make sure to keep that in mind. I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask me anything. If I know I will tell you and guide you with what ever knowledge I can. Trust me, once you install that blower you'll be smiling from ear to ear. Enjoy your new procharger. I know I did. Just wait until you here the whine and than hear it scream when you punch it. You'll love it!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:22 PM
ginomac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
I can tell you that the piping that goes to the throttle body/ plenum is 3 inch because I installed a bbk 78mm throttle body/ plenum and I had to get an adapter to fit the procharger tubing onto the bigger throttle body and I had to get a 3 inch to a 3 1/4 inch. I have a procharger P-1SC stage 2 kit which is what you have but it came with the 3 row intercooler. Everyone is right in saying that you need colder spark plugs, an upgraded fuel pump ( I used the Ford GT fuel pump so that way if I want more power down the road and I do already I can use that in my fuel system upgrade because the focus fuel pump is ONLY enough for the basic system which you have and has no potential as soon as you try to go higher), and for sure you need 42lb injectors. You WILL need to get a custom tune because when you install that supercharger your car is going to run like *** until you tune it. It won't even be drivable. I got a safe tune and the mods I had at the time were long tube header, high flow X pipe, and Borla cat back exhaust and I made 353HP and 383 RWTQ. I was on a 10lb pulley but since I had those mods done I only made 7-8 lbs. Now this was a BENEFIT because the SAME amount of air was going through the engine but it was having an easier time doing so. Think of it like this. Imagine taking a VERY deep breath and blowing through a straw. Now imagine taking that SAME deep breath and blowing into a straw 5x the size. Wouldn't it be easier for your breath to travel through the bigger straw? Well my exhaust basically did that for me so if you have any mods done to your car make sure to keep that in mind. I hope this helps you. Feel free to ask me anything. If I know I will tell you and guide you with what ever knowledge I can. Trust me, once you install that blower you'll be smiling from ear to ear. Enjoy your new procharger. I know I did. Just wait until you here the whine and than hear it scream when you punch it. You'll love it!
Thanks for your input, good example with the straw. The mods i currently have are K&N CAI, Flomaster 40s mufflers, stock H pipe with no cats, accufab throttle body and plenum, 100 shot Nitrous. Plan on using the K&N air filter dont plan on using the nitrous but its there for the future just in case. Do you think it will be the same case when I run the 10lb pulley?

Also how much did you pay for your Ford GT pump? Is it way more expensive than the focus one?

I cant wait to hear that whine btw

oh and I also have sniper tuner but that doesnt matter if im getting a custom tune
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM
chasen1982
2nd Gear Member

I run NGK TR6 spark plugs in my car gapped between .32 and .35......... Also depending on how much your fuel pump ur lookin at cost. This is the fuel pump I have in my car. Only 89.00 dollars and works like a champ. http://highflowfuel.com/i-6257007-hf...1998-2011.html
Old 03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

If I remember correctly I paid 150-200 for the fuel pump. It came highly recommended by the specialty shop I took it too and it turned out to be an very wise investment. When they old me, "Trust me, you're going to want more power" I laughed. I thought I was the king of the world once I drove it and that NO ONE could screw with me. For a little while I was right. No one could. Then I started noticing cars that I previously thought were fast and noticed that they were still faster but not by much any more. This feed my desire to want more power and that urge grew and grew and grew until I found myself about to build my short block and build my car up to 600rwhp/tq. Apparently this is the most power that you can grip on the streets and with the proper tire. Since I want to still drive my car normally this is the most I can go and I think I'll be satisfied. Anyways, getting back to the point at hand.

I do believe that you're going to see SOME boost loss but remember that that's a good thing because your mods ( throttle body, plenum, and mufflers ) are making it easier for that boost to flow in your engine (throttle body/ plenum) and out (mufflers). Keep in mind that our blocks are able to handle right about 400hp/400tq so once you go over that you're asking for trouble. I know I'm at the limit of one or the other now because I haven't gotten my stang tuned since the throttle body/ plenum install and I've read that the throttle body/ plenum is a big restriction factor in our cars. P.S. What sized throttle body/plenum did you go with?

Lastly you know that you're CAI is going to have to go because the procharger takes the place of your CAI but it's 1,000x better. You won't be disappointed. I have 2 vids from my first time racing after my install that show you what the whine sounds like and me beating a car at the 1/8 mile that everyone thought was impressive ( You can hear a guy in the stands from which my friends were recording me say , "That kid drives that car right?" Once you hear how impressed people are with you after you get a blower done you'll be even more hooked). Once you do this you're going to get the modding bug and want to continue like I did. Save up, do the job right the first time, don't cut corners and enjoy.

P.S. These are my first races PERIOD. I'm super scrubby in these so I'm letting you know now. Currently I've gotten much better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4CZmlSjA94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIUiHgRhneU
Old 03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
chasen1982
2nd Gear Member

@Dragonus18 dude are you letting off the gas when you change gears? it sounds like it.. that's killing your time!!! Once I leave the line my foot never comes off the floor board in my 5 speed.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 PM
ginomac
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
If I remember correctly I paid 150-200 for the fuel pump. It came highly recommended by the specialty shop I took it too and it turned out to be an very wise investment. When they old me, "Trust me, you're going to want more power" I laughed. I thought I was the king of the world once I drove it and that NO ONE could screw with me. For a little while I was right. No one could. Then I started noticing cars that I previously thought were fast and noticed that they were still faster but not by much any more. This feed my desire to want more power and that urge grew and grew and grew until I found myself about to build my short block and build my car up to 600rwhp/tq. Apparently this is the most power that you can grip on the streets and with the proper tire. Since I want to still drive my car normally this is the most I can go and I think I'll be satisfied. Anyways, getting back to the point at hand.

I do believe that you're going to see SOME boost loss but remember that that's a good thing because your mods ( throttle body, plenum, and mufflers ) are making it easier for that boost to flow in your engine (throttle body/ plenum) and out (mufflers). Keep in mind that our blocks are able to handle right about 400hp/400tq so once you go over that you're asking for trouble. I know I'm at the limit of one or the other now because I haven't gotten my stang tuned since the throttle body/ plenum install and I've read that the throttle body/ plenum is a big restriction factor in our cars. P.S. What sized throttle body/plenum did you go with?

Lastly you know that you're CAI is going to have to go because the procharger takes the place of your CAI but it's 1,000x better. You won't be disappointed. I have 2 vids from my first time racing after my install that show you what the whine sounds like and me beating a car at the 1/8 mile that everyone thought was impressive ( You can hear a guy in the stands from which my friends were recording me say , "That kid drives that car right?" Once you hear how impressed people are with you after you get a blower done you'll be even more hooked). Once you do this you're going to get the modding bug and want to continue like I did. Save up, do the job right the first time, don't cut corners and enjoy.
I was hoping on spending less than 100 on the pump but i guess not anymore. I am having a hard time finding it for less than 200 tho.

I have the 75mm tb.

As far as the CAI goes, I popped my hood today and realized I can use the CAI piping in my install. The filter is in the fender, so if I just take the filter out and connect that pipe to the intercooler I can just use all the pipe I already have and replace the MAF and keep it in the same spot. Here is a pic that shows the piping and diameters. (yes my engine is dirty, havent cleaned it in a while)

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 PM
ginomac
1st Gear Member

oh, and Dragunus18 your car sounds like a beast man
Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM
chasen1982
2nd Gear Member

Gino u must didn't read my post... I gave you the link for the correct fuel pump for $89 dollars. Its the same one I have in my car. As long as u have a 255 LPH ur good! and that's what it is.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 AM
ginomac
1st Gear Member

@chasen1982 my bad man didnt mean to overlook your reply. That is good price for a pump im going to look into it more because some people say just get the ford gt one and others say that the 255 is good till like 500hp, so idk what to do. How much hp are you making? as far as spark plugs go ill more than likely get the same ones you have
Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 AM
chasen1982
2nd Gear Member

My car is making 396 HP to the rear wheels.. If you aren't going inside your motor ur not going to make much over 400 HP... So the 255 LPH fuel pump will be fine. If you're not gonna go inside the motor then you dont need a fuel pump for over 500 HP. Why spend 200+ dollars on a pump when this one works fine for 89 bucks. Once you put everything together you're gonna LOVE IT!! It's gonna feel like you have a whole nother motor under the hood. But honestly NGK TR6's, 42 lb. injectors, and that fuel pump i showed u. and your totally fine!!

Quick Reply: Need Procharger advice