4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Auto? Advantages to bump shift or leaving it in D?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 AM
wws2010
1st Gear Member

Default Auto? Advantages to bump shift or leaving it in D?

Well I have an auto and was looking into putting a bump shift kit or just keeping it the same and leaving it in D. I have a diablo tuner that has made the shifting great but I would love to be able to control it more! Is there a way to make it so it acts like a clutchless manual? How do those bump shift guys go into 4th?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

You can do 1-2-D if you want. With your 4r75w you don't want to go anywhere near WOT when O/D is still on. Anytime you are racing or going full throttle O/D needs to be off otherwise you can say goodbye to your trans.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 AM
wws2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
You can do 1-2-D if you want. With your 4r75w you don't want to go anywhere near WOT when O/D is still on. Anytime you are racing or going full throttle O/D needs to be off otherwise you can say goodbye to your trans.
Why is that?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

OD off has nothing to do with 1st-3rd, and i doubt you will be going WOT long enough to hit 4th. But nonetheless i always turn mine off anyway. Also I wouldnt be doing the manual shifting unless you upgrade your valve body with a J-mod or shift kit.

And be carefull setting the shift firmness too high with the tuner on your stock tranny; too much line pressure is not good on anything, especially a stock one. I highly recommend the Trans-Go shift kit, your valve body will be much stronger, you can manually shift all you want, and you will be able to turn down the shift firmness on your tuner because the shift kit will give you firmer shifts by itself. I have that same setup and if i want to i can chirp into 3rd with 10 inch wide rear tires.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM
wws2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
OD off has nothing to do with 1st-3rd, and i doubt you will be going WOT long enough to hit 4th. But nonetheless i always turn mine off anyway. Also I wouldnt be doing the manual shifting unless you upgrade your valve body with a J-mod or shift kit.

And be carefull setting the shift firmness too high with the tuner on your stock tranny; too much line pressure is not good on anything, especially a stock one. I highly recommend the Trans-Go shift kit, your valve body will be much stronger, you can manually shift all you want, and you will be able to turn down the shift firmness on your tuner because the shift kit will give you firmer shifts by itself. I have that same setup and if i want to i can chirp into 3rd with 10 inch wide rear tires.
The shift firmness is fine for me, it already shifts too hard for my 245s on the lowest setting. If I am straight line racing I am leaving it in drive, I cant beat that. I drive up in the canyons and would like to stay in my power band. Do I have to lift up my foot when I shift? Will it cause hard to the tranny doing it manually? How would freeing up the line pressure allow me to shift manually?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:41 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wws2010
The shift firmness is fine for me, it already shifts too hard for my 245s on the lowest setting. If I am straight line racing I am leaving it in drive, I cant beat that. I drive up in the canyons and would like to stay in my power band. Do I have to lift up my foot when I shift? Will it cause hard to the tranny doing it manually? How would freeing up the line pressure allow me to shift manually?
No you dont have to lift you foot.

No as long as you dont rip it from D to 2 or 2 to 1 at WOT.

And you cant free up the line pressure unless you do some type of valve body upgrade. If your on the lowest setting of the Diablosport you should be fine as far as line pressure goes.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The best thing to do is just leave it in drive and adjust the shiftpoints using your diablo. The stock valve body and manual valve isn't going to really allow you to hold it in the gears anyways. It will shift out of first and second eventually even if you don't move the shifter. There are also various delays and little things that are different in the tune if you are attempting to manually shift the trans. Most of the time, you will end up being significantly slower unless you have a manual VB.

And for the record, turn OD off when going WOT. You can hurt your trans if it shifts into OD under WOT.....and it will. Ask me how I know. Forget to leave the OD off at the strip, I guarantee you will shift into 4th/OD by the time you cross the traps. And you will hear a pour thud/bang at the same time
Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
The best thing to do is just leave it in drive and adjust the shiftpoints using your diablo. The stock valve body and manual valve isn't going to really allow you to hold it in the gears anyways. It will shift out of first and second eventually even if you don't move the shifter. There are also various delays and little things that are different in the tune if you are attempting to manually shift the trans. Most of the time, you will end up being significantly slower unless you have a manual VB.

And for the record, turn OD off when going WOT. You can hurt your trans if it shifts into OD under WOT.....and it will. Ask me how I know. Forget to leave the OD off at the strip, I guarantee you will shift into 4th/OD by the time you cross the traps. And you will hear a pour thud/bang at the same time
Yeah I really hate when I have to stomp it while cruising in OD on the highway and then I forget to click my OD off while its screaming through third and then it shifts and i'm like **** I did it again! I really wish there was some kind of way to tune the car so that it will stay in 3rd by itself when you downshift from OD to 3rd while going a certain speed. Most of the time I catch it but not always.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

You can raise the WOT shiftpoint to an rpm that is well out of your range or beyond your rev limiter like 7,000 for example but even that isn't fool proof since some transmissions/cars will begin the shift well before the scheduled shiftpoint. The really only fool proof way is to turn it off. I am thinking about developing a kit that is a plug-n-play harness that will incorporate a switch that will automatically turn the OD off when you start the car. You can't make OD OFF the default setting like you can with the traction control unfortunately.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:54 AM
wws2010
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Yeah I really hate when I have to stomp it while cruising in OD on the highway and then I forget to click my OD off while its screaming through third and then it shifts and i'm like **** I did it again! I really wish there was some kind of way to tune the car so that it will stay in 3rd by itself when you downshift from OD to 3rd while going a certain speed. Most of the time I catch it but not always.
So can I or can I not manually shift it from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd/4th? if I want to to keep the revs up while track/canyon racing?

Quick Reply: Auto? Advantages to bump shift or leaving it in D?