4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Choosing cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Hill x 21
1st Gear Member

Default Choosing cold air intake

Hey all, just thought I'd turn to the forum for some opinions/personal experiences. I'm looking into getting a CAI and the only one that really sticks out to me on AM is the Stack Racing kit. Is it good? What kind of CAI are you running?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-cai-9604gt.html

Most I'd be willing to spend would be about $200 plus shipping if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
PoisonIvy
1st Gear Member

I've got the BBK CAI. Really, I don't think there's much of a difference between them to be honest. The Stack is on sale this month, so if you're happy with the look of it, go for it. Good price.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Ditch the intake. Buy a K&N drop in filter. It's that easy. I'm not sure if the 96 Gt's came with air silencers but if you have one, take it off.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mineralpony
Ditch the intake. Buy a K&N drop in filter. It's that easy. I'm not sure if the 96 Gt's came with air silencers but if you have one, take it off.
They come with them, I pulled mine off really easily though. The cold air intakes are much nicer to look at though compared to the rubber hose in there stock.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hill x 21
Hey all, just thought I'd turn to the forum for some opinions/personal experiences. I'm looking into getting a CAI and the only one that really sticks out to me on AM is the Stack Racing kit. Is it good? What kind of CAI are you running?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-cai-9604gt.html

Most I'd be willing to spend would be about $200 plus shipping if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for the input.
I know this is a little out of your price range, http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-96-04-gt-rai.html , but I'd go with this one. I don't really think the CAI is worth it. Ram air intake will be just as effective. I'd wait and save if you were really hard pressed to get one, and go with this JLT. You might be able to pull it off if AM offering free shipping.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeedStangSpeed
I know this is a little out of your price range, http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-96-04-gt-rai.html , but I'd go with this one. I don't really think the CAI is worth it. Ram air intake will be just as effective. I'd wait and save if you were really hard pressed to get one, and go with this JLT. You might be able to pull it off if AM offering free shipping.
Ehhh, I've been wary about ram air. If you get water in though that, bad news. It could just be me being paranoid though.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Red2002GT
1st Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-96-04-gt-cai.html

Is the one I have.
If you get one like this heres a tip.
Don't try to slide the connector with clamp over the TB.
Completely undo the clamp.
Put the connector on the TB, then wrap the clamp around it.

Metal intakes = bad. well maybe not bad, but not as good as pvc or plastic
Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJB540
Ehhh, I've been wary about ram air. If you get water in though that, bad news. It could just be me being paranoid though.
CAI is the water worry, being that it is down in the fender well, I know one person it's happened too.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mineralpony
The Mustang pretty much already has a CAI.

If not go Summit Racing CAI. you'll be surpised what it is If I only knew before I spent money on any CAI
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJB540
They come with them, I pulled mine off really easily though. The cold air intakes are much nicer to look at though compared to the rubber hose in there stock.
You can buy just the CAI pipe that goes from TB to MAF.Keep rest of stock stuff besides stock filter (K&N drop in) and silencer(remove)..Done instant CAI looks good and works just as well as most CAI.Keeps stock look almost too

Quick Reply: Choosing cold air intake