4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L SOHC powered MKIV Supra? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 AM
AaronD

Default 4.6L SOHC powered MKIV Supra? Thoughts?

Okay.. so I have a 1993 Toyota Supra N/A. Engine is completely FUBAR... not really.. but no mechanic seems to can figure it out.. Anyways.. to the point.

My 2002 GT is convertible.. which i'm not crazy about.

So i had a crazy idea to put the Modular into my Supra.. Because initially i want to drive the Supra.. but love the domestic V8 thing..

Also, before we continue.. i can't afford the 4.6L DOHC or the 2JZ-GTE engine.. and i'm not looking to make ridiculous hp, 350-425RWHP would be key..

Anyways, lastly.. I'm trying to figure up any problems I might meet. Getting the engine in shouldn't be too complicated.. but i'm thinking more ECU, wiring harness, etc.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:17 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

if you have the money your wishes are endless
Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 AM
AaronD

lol right.. But I'm about to do the swap... and want to try to make sure it goes flawlessly. I posted this on the Supra forums.. and they all got pissed... telling me they could see if I were using the Cobra engine.. but this was the guy who was trying to tell me that the GT modular DOHC 4V sucked.. but the Cobra motor was worthy lol.. had fun "educating" that guy in Ford Modular motors.. back on topic.. any problems i might hit?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AaronD
Okay.. so I have a 1993 Toyota Supra N/A. Engine is completely FUBAR... not really.. but no mechanic seems to can figure it out.. Anyways.. to the point.

My 2002 GT is convertible.. which i'm not crazy about.

So i had a crazy idea to put the Modular into my Supra.. Because initially i want to drive the Supra.. but love the domestic V8 thing..

Also, before we continue.. i can't afford the 4.6L DOHC or the 2JZ-GTE engine.. and i'm not looking to make ridiculous hp, 350-425RWHP would be key..

Anyways, lastly.. I'm trying to figure up any problems I might meet. Getting the engine in shouldn't be too complicated.. but i'm thinking more ECU, wiring harness, etc.
If you can't afford the DOHC, You can't afford the conversion.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by AaronD
lol right.. But I'm about to do the swap... and want to try to make sure it goes flawlessly. I posted this on the Supra forums.. and they all got pissed... telling me they could see if I were using the Cobra engine.. but this was the guy who was trying to tell me that the GT modular DOHC 4V sucked.. but the Cobra motor was worthy lol.. had fun "educating" that guy in Ford Modular motors.. back on topic.. any problems i might hit?
Issue number 1, there is no GT dohc 4v 4.6, that IS the cobra motor. Gts are 2v sohc. 2. Making 350-425rwhp with a 2v will require a supercharger. With full bolt onts the motor from your gt would make roughly 260ish rwp.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I guess ill be "that guy".... your better off putting supra badges on your mustang. The concept is cool..but the work and $$ needed to do this is probably outrageous
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM
AaronD

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Issue number 1, there is no GT dohc 4v 4.6, that IS the cobra motor. Gts are 2v sohc. 2. Making 350-425rwhp with a 2v will require a supercharger. With full bolt onts the motor from your gt would make roughly 260ish rwp.
I know.... That's why i said i had fun educating him in Ford Modular motors....That's also why it was funny to me.. because the guy said the Cobra motor was worthy.. but the 4.6L DOHC 4V GT Motor was not... it was funny ..made me laugh.. and I'm aware of what my engine is .. and what a Cobra engine is.. i'm also aware of the differences in the 2JZ-GE and the 2JZ-GTE..

the conversion shouldn't be much.. just metal for fabricating The driveshaft and engine mounts.. and a lot of friggin time in the ECU and wiring harness.

I just can't afford the DOHC and to do the conversion.. i'll save later and get the DOHC for the Mustang.. or put a 350 or something in it.

I just want my Supra to drive with this V8 lol.. the rest.. making it look pretty insidewith the 5 speed.. gauges working.. all that.. can come later.. after it drives
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

if you're gonna do a swap like that, you might as well do it right and put the dohc 4.6 or go with a even bigger motor such as a 351 (if it would fit)
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You want to take a running car pull the motor and swap it into something that is going to be a nightmare to make reliable because it sounds like you are trying to be cheap. If you say mechanics cant figure out what is wrong with your Supra that tells me you don't work on your own stuff so how the hell are you going to figure out how to swap a 4.6 into the Supra.
If you don't like the Mustang sell it and buy a replacement motor or the 2jz-kljkjlijjkgffklsuiorekjo engine (or what ever the F the supra engine is). Or even sell the Mustang and put a carbed V8 in it
Old 03-22-2011, 01:32 PM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

jesus you guys are brutal!!! lol the kid just asked for some advice not criticism. Sry i can't add much to the topic, but this can't be an easy job. the easiest thing should be fabin up the motor mounts and such lol. cool idea though. if you actually figure out how to do the swap it will be the sickest soundin supra ever!!!!

Quick Reply: 4.6L SOHC powered MKIV Supra? Thoughts?