4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

------ On Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 PM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Default ------ On Dashboard

Hey guys kevin here, i took the day off to do some work on my car and im kind of at a road block right now. This is in reference to the problem I have had for like two months now and just not getting time to work on it. To make a long story short I had the code P0351 pop up and my number 1 cylinder wasnt firing. Cool, thought it was a bad spark plug, wrong bought 8 new ones installed all of them threaded in correctly and torqued down. Maybe a bad coil pack...wrong bought 8 new ones put them on still wouldnt fire so I switched the coil packs around just to make sure and theres no spark at the number 1 cylinder.Still no spark on the #1 cylinder it never moved. Next up i noticed I had a burned wire on my engine wiring harness. I changed the harness (this is what im working on today) and everything is plugged up and tight. I also took my ECM out thinking i could get it checked, but any business i call says they couldn't check them I left it out for about 3 weeks and I also installed it today(ECM). Still the orginal one, now I have dashes on my odometer what do I need to do next? The car wont start. Theft light is flashing.

Also the bolt on the cable that goes to the ecm does it tighten till it wont turn nomore or do I just need to snug it?
Thanks guys
Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Are you sure you don't have a dead fuel injector?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 PM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Never thought of that. I didnt know a dead fuel injector would make me have this sort of symptom. How could I check a fuel injector? Test light? I got the car to start also, I didnt have the ecu wiring harness all the way connected. I got the code P1000 whats that mean?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:33 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by boothay
Never thought of that. I didnt know a dead fuel injector would make me have this sort of symptom. How could I check a fuel injector? Test light? I got the car to start also, I didnt have the ecu wiring harness all the way connected. I got the code P1000 whats that mean?
When u changed the plug was the plug in the dead cylinder white? P1000 is the system check monitor.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 AM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

I changed the #1 plug twice, when i initally changed it it was a darker brown then the rest of the plugs, the second time it was white like it was fresh out of the box.

Last edited by boothay; 04-04-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

To test the injector swap it with another one. Clear your codes and see if that cylinder is dead now
Old 04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

ok will do sir!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 PM
boothay
2nd Gear Member

Another fail. Bought a new fuel injector, installed it. Engine still is missing. While idling i apply gas slowly and car is shaking really bad. No check engine light of course with my unhooking the battery and reseting the computer. Ive replaced wiring harness, all coils, all spark plugs, #1 fuel injector, Battery.... im spent...about to give up on it and leave it in the garage.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:23 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You wernt supposed to buy a new injector. I meant swap like cylinder 7 and 8 injectors and see if that was your problem.
If your not getting a CEL and you have checked the obvious you should probably take it to a shop
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

After a run, does the #1 plug come out wet or smelling strongly of fuel? Do you feel the injector clicking?

Quick Reply: ------ On Dashboard