4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cam questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

Question Cam questions...

Alright guys, ive got a question about cams, what do i need to be able to put in comp cams Xtreme energy XE274H. Ive got a 98 mustang stock heads stock block. I was wondering if i would have to fly cut the pistons and all that. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure if they'll fit the 98 heads or not. Call Nick at Modular Head Shop. He'll know for sure.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Are you sure you don't wanna start with the PI heads??
Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 AM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

I just rebuilt the motor and put stock heads in it but they were brand new take offs. Im really just trying to get the sound not more power.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

The best sounding cams will probably be some of the worst performing cams, just so you know. Seriously, if you "over cam it" you will lose power...especially with stock crappy flowing NPI heads lol.

IMO, you should consider finding a good compromise between power and sound. It's your car though.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Canman2531

i have an 03 GT with those exact cams. stock heads, stock block. the clearance is minimal, but doesnt need to be changed. i actually took the heads off the car and found that my stock cams were actually making the valves touch the pistons. i could see the smallest of marks on each piston. i called all over about this and found that the pistons came from different companies at different times of the year so the clearance is never perfect. i was reassured that this was nothing to be concerned about because it obviously wasnt enough to bend the valves--or even to really affect them.

as far as these cams go, i love the sound. i've never heard a better sounding car. i get compliments from viper owners. it really adjusts the power band high though. i'm also pretty confident that it's not the best for performance (especially if you drive mostly on city streets). you're gonna want to change the valve springs too tho--and that's a bitch. i'd highly recommend taking the heads off. getting at the back springs was super hard. i hope you have a lot of patience. also, be sure you completely understand top dead center before you start taking the chain off.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

I actually called comp cams today and got some answers. The guy said that i would def need springs, retainers, and a good tune. He of course said headers would be a good thing to do at that time too. He said the power will def be noticeable in them as i would prob gain about 125 hp? Does that seem true? I also emailed modular head shop to ask and they said the same thing..
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

100 hp from cams and headers I don't think so on stock heads. U are looking at 50 rwhp at most and that is peak power. Do some research first to big a cam sucks. U should look at cms stage 2 cams.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98mustangkidd
I actually called comp cams today and got some answers. The guy said that i would def need springs, retainers, and a good tune. He of course said headers would be a good thing to do at that time too. He said the power will def be noticeable in them as i would prob gain about 125 hp? Does that seem true? I also emailed modular head shop to ask and they said the same thing..

My man, there is no way in he** ,you're gonna gain that much HP from headers and cams. Sadly (if I'm mistaken please correct me) the 96-98 GT offer the worst performance in recent history because of the heads. You might really wanna start with the heads man...
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Dude you'll be lucky to gain 30 hp with cams alone on stock heads. Probably more like 30 hp with cams and headers.

Also no way in hell did MHS state the same thing lol. Nick knows his s**t all to well to to even come close to saying something so retarded lol.

Last edited by mrtstang; 04-27-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Cam questions...