4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EGR valve delete: good, bad, indifferent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 05:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If you delete it now you will get a CEL untill you have the EGR shut off in the tune. When you delete the egr just get a block off plate for the plenum, and cap the tube right at the exhaust manifold. You can then removed the EGR valve, the whole tube, and the sensor with the rubber hoses going to it which is the DPFE sensor ( your referred to it as map sensor), and you can also remove the vacum solenoid and lines associated with it as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As to "how did I know", it was 50+ years of diagnosing and repairing motorised thingys, and that defective a EGR valve is one of the likely causes of the type of surging I experienced.

Blocking off the ports without disabling EGR in the tune will cause DTC P0401 (Insufficient EGR flow).

It will not affect engine control.

I do not believe any SCT handheld tuning system supports direct on/off control of the EGR system, could be wrong about this though--I do know that the Diablosport Predator and Delta Force Tuning's Special Forces do provide this option.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Jimmyblaze22

I have no EGR since the guy I bought the car from had deleted it. I live in NY so I need one for my upcoming inspection in October. I can buy the valve from AM, but I need the exhaust tube. Do I just get it from the dealer?? I'm assuming the previous owner had blocked off the hole in the manifold. So I'd have to drill a new one?? I actually plan on putting in BBK L/T's soon, maybe I'll just use the hole for egr in that, right?? And yes, I have an SCT X3/SF3 tuner and I was able to have a tune sent to me to turn it off.

Last edited by Jimmyblaze22; 08-25-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I didn't do it myself, but I have a sct xcal2 and my tuner disable it somehow because I have no CEL.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
I didn't do it myself, but I have a sct xcal2 and my tuner disable it somehow because I have no CEL.
The tuner likely used SCT Advantage to make the change needed to disable the EGR, and load that tune into your XCal2. It's a scalar value named EGR Selector, setting it to 2 disables the EGR. A value of 0 indicates a stepper type EGR, 1 tells the PCM it's a differential pressure type system.

I have not seen an SCT handheld that permits direct control of the EGR--I.e. through the handheld's menu options...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:53 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Cliffy, this has nothing to do with the EGR question, but I have an update/just so you know. About a month ago I was asking if anyone knew the price of SCT tuner software and Special Forces Delta tuning and just some tuning questions. You and others had said that they didnt know the price or anything really about the SCT software so I e-mailed SCT and they said the Price on the SCT Tuning Software( 1 vehicle only) is $350. So again this was a just so you know.

Thanks for the info guys on the EGR delete. All basic need to know info on the post. Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The tuner likely used SCT Advantage to make the change needed to disable the EGR, and load that tune into your XCal2. It's a scalar value named EGR Selector, setting it to 2 disables the EGR. A value of 0 indicates a stepper type EGR, 1 tells the PCM it's a differential pressure type system.

I have not seen an SCT handheld that permits direct control of the EGR--I.e. through the handheld's menu options...
no, you need to use the actual software, not the programmer IIRC...

i might have changed with the X3, theres a lot more options in it than the X2, but still nowhere near as good as a real tune
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
no, you need to use the actual software, not the programmer IIRC...

i might have changed with the X3, theres a lot more options in it than the X2, but still nowhere near as good as a real tune
That's what I said, the "actual software" is SCT Advantage...
Old 08-26-2011, 10:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by FLMustangMan
Cliffy, this has nothing to do with the EGR question, but I have an update/just so you know. About a month ago I was asking if anyone knew the price of SCT tuner software and Special Forces Delta tuning and just some tuning questions. You and others had said that they didnt know the price or anything really about the SCT software so I e-mailed SCT and they said the Price on the SCT Tuning Software( 1 vehicle only) is $350. So again this was a just so you know.

Thanks for the info guys on the EGR delete. All basic need to know info on the post. Thanks
Well that's pretty cool, figuring out what something costs--I am impressed...
Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
That's what I said, the "actual software" is SCT Advantage...
just re-affirming what you said is all

Quick Reply: EGR valve delete: good, bad, indifferent?