4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Battery keeps going dead...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 AM
GT Roll

Default Battery keeps going dead...

Replaced the alternator and bought a new batery, however it keeps going dead after leaving the car sit for 1-2 days. My battery light recently came on as well. I have also noticed my dash lights, and dome light are "pulsating" I orginally suspected a bad voltage regulator but that is internal in my new alternator so that couldn't be the problem. My car also sometimes "sputters" when I first start it up as well. Bad wiring problem somewhere?

Whats going on here? It's driving me nuts...
Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Yeah it's gotta have to do with your wiring. Perhaps a loose ground?
Do you know of any splicing that's occurred in your car? Like a retro stereo fitting or something?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
GT Roll

Actually yes. The guy I bought it from had an after-market Pioneer deck and some subs with an amp hooked up, however he took it out and I disconnected the amp wire to the battery as well as the CD player thinking that would stop any unnecessary drain.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

where did you get your alternator from? i have had bad luck getting them from some stores,( 3 bad in a row before they sent me 1 good one). i would still suspect the alternator due to the pulsating lights.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:53 AM
GT Roll

Originally Posted by jwog666
where did you get your alternator from? i have had bad luck getting them from some stores,( 3 bad in a row before they sent me 1 good one). i would still suspect the alternator due to the pulsating lights.

Got a re-manufactured alternator from Advanced auto.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Hmmm, I don't know what to think. Maybe you could try going back to autozone and getting another alternator. If that one fails, I'm pretty sure your wiring is buggered.

After that, if I were you I'd trace all the wires you can find, maybe even pick up a multimeter and check for varying voltages to spot problem areas? Be sure to check your wiring to and from your alternator.

Those are just suggestions. I'm not sure the multimeter would be an effective solution, could be a waste of time.
I'm used to classics with a whole 10 wires in them. So I don't know as much as I wish I did on newer 'stangs.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

in my opinion i would take the alternator back to advanced and have them test it on their machine, it may test bad(battery light being on almost makes this the case)dont waste any time checking other things untill you verify if the alternator is good or bad. good luck
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
SilvrStang
6th Gear Member

Sounds like there is a ground wire not connected. Do me a favor and check your connection at the alternator and make sure that pigtail is good and none of the wires are torn on it. Happened to a buddy of mine and he had to change that pigtail. Same issue that you had.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:14 AM
GT Roll

Originally Posted by SilvrStang
Sounds like there is a ground wire not connected. Do me a favor and check your connection at the alternator and make sure that pigtail is good and none of the wires are torn on it. Happened to a buddy of mine and he had to change that pigtail. Same issue that you had.
This wire right? I just checked it, didn't see anything exposed.

Funny you should say that, when I took it to Advanced the first time he said his machine wasn't getting any current through that pigtail and thats what originally made us believe it was a bad alternator, but he also said it could indeed just be that wire on the pigtail.

What is that wire called?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Mine did the same thing - would die after a few days of sitting. Turned out that one of my Mach 460 amps was shot and was drawing current, even when the car was off. Replaced it and problem solved.

Quick Reply: Battery keeps going dead...