4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L making a ticking/chain slap noise???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cisurfer
Yeah did it when I did my old trans. Now I have a new trans with new fork and stud too. It's the engine not trans trust me
+1. My 98 Mustang had a worn out clutch fork/ball stud. It made noise alright, the noise of my clutch pedal flopping around like it was having a seizure.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:28 AM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

So its been almost a year later and still haven't got this solved. Probably doesnt help that i've been so busy. Anyways I've been listening off and on and have not been able locate a specific spot on the engine that the noise is coming from. Finally today I decided to try the stetescope on the transmision bell housing I can hear the ticking, tapping type noise. It has to be in here because i have chaged oil and oil filter(opened to check for metal shavings) and neither have metal. and i cant hear it in the oil pan. I originally thought it was in the bellhousing but i took it off before and changed the pilot bearing and pulled the clutch off and double checked the flywheel bolts and also replaced the clutch fork. but it was still there.

anyone else have a problem like this before? Im thinking mabe the trans. input shaft or mabe the clutch finger hitting something

if you re-listen to the video you here it best when the microphone on the camera is next to the dust cover on bellhousing
Old 05-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Since the OP brought back this thread, I think i'll post in it too haha.

I had this problem in my Dodge Ram (5speed) and when I bought my GT all you could hear was the great sound of the v8 and the exhaust. When I took it into the shop to get it fixed (I could tell you everything that was fixed if you want) it made this ticking/fanning through a deck of cards sound. A guy at a mom and pops mechanic shop, told me what it was on my truck, and they got it fixed for about $300, but its been about 3 years and I think I paid cash and said dont worry about a reciept, which I regret now...
Old 05-27-2012, 02:48 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

Mine sounded very similar to that recently and it was a compression leak from a spark plug that had loosened up, I ended up blowing the plug out of the head cause I thought it was just an exhaust leak (****in hell to sleeve and put back). It's something to check, pull all the plugs and check that they were all tight and NOT cross threaded.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 PM
FAKnGT
1st Gear Member

I know this thread is old but I am having the exact same issue, so why make a new one? I did a PI swap last year and have been dealing with this clicking ever since. I am about to pull the timing chain cover off to replace the cam sprockets since that is what I am suspecting to be the culprit as I have play in my timing chains. But the sound is the same as the video on page 1.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FAKnGT
I know this thread is old but I am having the exact same issue, so why make a new one? I did a PI swap last year and have been dealing with this clicking ever since. I am about to pull the timing chain cover off to replace the cam sprockets since that is what I am suspecting to be the culprit as I have play in my timing chains. But the sound is the same as the video on page 1.

If you have play in your timing chains it is more likely your timing chain tensioners than the cam sprockets... worth replacing if you have it apart.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:09 PM
FAKnGT
1st Gear Member

That's just the thing Rok, The chains, guides and tensioners are new. I replaced them during the swap because my chains were loose. For all I know, my old chains are fine. They were 30,000 miles before when I did the head gaskets. I have swapped between the new tensioners and the old. My motor has been dismantled 5 times in the last year, driven under 2,000 miles, and I am running out of items to troubleshoot.

Read FLs scenario.