4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L making a ticking/chain slap noise???

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

I've watched some more Youtube videos and did some more research and have found some videos of Throw out bearings making some similar noise to mine. Very similar. Can anyone confirm this. I've never had a bad throw out bearing or every heard one in person so I don't really know. But the noise seems to be coming from in side the bellhousing somewhere.

The clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing are brand new but have been sitting in a box in my room for the last 3 years. The throw out bearing had grease in it when I installed it and I added grease to it, the imput shaft that it rides on and the pivot ball that the clutch fork pivots on.

Could this be a throw out bearing? Anyone have some noises like in the video? It's just weird that its louder when cold and quieter when warm.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:08 PM
v braaten
1st Gear Member

Do you have a new clutch? My old clutch made the same ticking sound that you describe. It really had me stumped until I replaced my clutch. In my case, the friction material on the pressure plate had separated and was hanging loose and slapping. However, if you installed a new clutch, it wouldn't be this.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by v braaten
Do you have a new clutch? My old clutch made the same ticking sound that you describe. It really had me stumped until I replaced my clutch. In my case, the friction material on the pressure plate had separated and was hanging loose and slapping. However, if you installed a new clutch, it wouldn't be this.
Yes I have a new clutch. It was sitting around for 2-3 years in my bedroom. I was told by a performance shop that I had a bad clutch. So I ordered one. When I got under the car to take the tranny out i pulled the driveshaft and found it was a u-joint. So its been sitting waiting for a time to use. It cam with new Clutch, friction plate, Throw-out bearing and Pilot bearing. And while I had the engine block honed and cleaned, I had the flywheel resurfaced. And I did re-clean it with lacquer thinner before install

Originally Posted by cisurfer
hmm, well i just ordered new lash adjusters im gunna throw in this week to see if it changes
Did this ever make any type of change for you? Did the noise go away?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

So has anyone heard a throw out bearing that sounds similar to this? Any thoughts?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:43 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Changed lash adjusters and still there. It's gotta be the valve guides. Ive had 2 new clutches with a spec tob and ford racing and now a ram and it was still ticking. It's def the engine not the trans
Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I had a ticking noise just like that. I chased it for years, even crossed over into a new engine. Never did find it. I am in contact with the new owner and he can't find it either. It's a joke by ford from the factory. I changed:

Main/rod bearings
Throwout bearing
Lash adjusters
Timing chains/tensioners
Exhaust manifold gaskets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mZ1hyxsns
Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

I've been doing some research and am now wondering if the noise I am hearing through the transmission dust cover is the clutch fork and/or the clutch fork pivot ball stud. I have read some threads about these going bad. And now that I think about it I do remember the clutch fork being alittle loose when reinstalled. The little fingers that wrap around the bottom side of the pivot ball stud were kinda loose and it would pop off easily if I barely pulled on it. I remember because after I got everything all back together on the bottom side, I was putting the cable on last and then the dust cover. When I was pulling the fork forward to get the clutch cable back in its slot the fork would pop off too easy.

Does this sound feasible to anybody else? Did any of you guys who have had the same noise and have changed clutches or transmissions or anything like that, ever change your clutch fork? Or did you re-use the old one? I am thinking that this is what is causing the noise. But am wondering what others think?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

oh and I found the clutch fork for $20 and the pivot ball stud for $20 at latemodelrestoration.com
Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cisurfer
Changed lash adjusters and still there. It's gotta be the valve guides. Ive had 2 new clutches with a spec tob and ford racing and now a ram and it was still ticking. It's def the engine not the trans
Originally Posted by JC316
I had a ticking noise just like that. I chased it for years, even crossed over into a new engine. Never did find it. I am in contact with the new owner and he can't find it either. It's a joke by ford from the factory. I changed:

Main/rod bearings
Throwout bearing
Lash adjusters
Timing chains/tensioners
Exhaust manifold gaskets.

Did either of you guys ever change your clutch forks and/or pivot ball studs????
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Yeah did it when I did my old trans. Now I have a new trans with new fork and stud too. It's the engine not trans trust me

Quick Reply: 4.6L making a ticking/chain slap noise???