4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L making a ticking/chain slap noise???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.6L making a ticking/chain slap noise???

I just rebuilt the motor and I was getting a couple loud noises. One was a tapping/ticking noise. So I replaced the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters. It went away but now I can hear a noise that is loud when started but quiets down alot when warmed up. It can only be described as a chain slap /ticking type noise. It is really hard to describe. I will get a video of it tomorrow or the next day when I have time. When I did my H.L.As I checked the timing chain before doing anything to see if mabe the noise was from loose chains. They are both tight with a very very small slack in it. Push on it and it barley moves. I also checked the guides. They look like they used to have long grooves going down them but they are barley there and almost smooth now. So mabe this is it. The chains, guides, tensioners and H.L.A were reused from the old engine. But now I have changed the H.L.As and eveything else looked pretty good with only 110,xxx mi on them.

The other thing I am thinking is it might be an exhaust leak. But I haven't had time to get under the car/jack it up and look or listen. While standing next to the car, with it running, you can hear it through the top with the hood open. You can mostly hear it in the driver side wheel well and really under the car. Like between the back of the oil pan and the tranny. But I cant isolate it. I have also used a mechanics stethoscope and i cant place it sounding louder in any specific spot. And the biggest thing that really gets me is I can replicate the noise at any RPM. BUT, it only makes the slapping/ticking noise when I give it very slight gas. Any less or any more and it goes away. I have a boost gauge and it always does it at 19-17 in.lbs./vac. Ive youtube lots of videos of timing chains and exhaust leaks and some sound close but still not quite it.

Anyone have an idea. And I will get a video soon. Thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 AM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Also, I have been driving it with no issues. I've already put 200mi on the new motor and done a couple hard pulls. No boost though. Just 3/4 throttle or more. Runs like a champ. Minus the noise. And just got done with a almost full tank of gas, 1/4 of it year old gas, And I am around 17mpg. I just refilled it all the way with fresh new gas and hope to get alittle better. But again, still no drivability issue due to noise. Any thoughts???
Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

My 97 4 Valve was doing the same thing - so this past weekend my mechanic and I replaced the chain set. That noise is gone but now I think I have a lash adjuster making noise, so my issue is the reverse of yours. The chain tensioners have a self adjusting setup that ensures that the chain stays tight. Even though your chains may have felt tight, the tensioners may be at the last self-adjusting "notch" like mine were. Do you remember how far the adjusters were out?

I'd plan on a timing chain set in the near future... Like I'm planning on lash adjusters :-(
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

I have the same noise coming from the same area on my 2002 2v. I did the whole timing setup and it did not go away. I'm thinking it is either lash adjusters or a worn valve guide like the cobras and machs have problems with
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Been chasing a ticking noise for like 2 years....gave up.

I've excepted the fact my car ticks.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rokgtar
My 97 4 Valve was doing the same thing - so this past weekend my mechanic and I replaced the chain set. That noise is gone but now I think I have a lash adjuster making noise, so my issue is the reverse of yours. The chain tensioners have a self adjusting setup that ensures that the chain stays tight. Even though your chains may have felt tight, the tensioners may be at the last self-adjusting "notch" like mine were. Do you remember how far the adjusters were out?

I'd plan on a timing chain set in the near future... Like I'm planning on lash adjusters :-(
I think that they might have been either the last or 2nd to last. Not sure. I'll dig through some pics i took while it was all apart.

Originally Posted by ct_white_stang
Been chasing a ticking noise for like 2 years....gave up.

I've excepted the fact my car ticks.
It's not just a quiet tick though. My 2003 F150 King ranch has a slight tick when it starts sometimes. My Mustang tick is really loud. And if I dont wait 15+ mins for it to warm up it is almost embarrasing to drive by ppl because they can hear it. I will try and get a vid as soon as possible and you can tell me if it sounds similar to yours.

So is there anyone else with the exact same symptoms? Mainly the very slight throttle to hear it. More or less its not there. Or any opinions of exhaust leak or timing or mabe tranny issue???
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

I just put in a new built trans and it's still there so not tranny issue. Even though it comes from the bottom in that area. I'm thinking it's a worn valve guide because it would be near the strut tower and echoing into the wheel well
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 AM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cisurfer
I just put in a new built trans and it's still there so not tranny issue. Even though it comes from the bottom in that area. I'm thinking it's a worn valve guide because it would be near the strut tower and echoing into the wheel well
I'm almost 99% sure its not the valve guides in my case. The reason being that I was running out of time when I was rebuilding my motor so when I had the heads cleaned, I had new valve seats installed. While they were doing the valve seats, the machine shop also took a brush and re polished the valve guides, cleaned them up and checked that they didnt need replacing since we were already in the head.

It really is a strange kind of ticking/chain slapping type noise.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 AM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

hmm, well i just ordered new lash adjusters im gunna throw in this week to see if it changes
Old 05-27-2011, 02:57 PM
FLMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Here is a video I was able to take today. The sounds seems to be coming frm inside the Bellhousing. I thought mabe it was where the EGR pipe connected to the Long Tube Header but as I get closer I can still hear it more on the otherside of the clutch cable cover. So mabe it is a pilot bearing or a throw-out bearing. I did lube up the throw-out bearing before I put it on but I used red grease I had in a grease gun. And now that I think of it i might have been chassis grease. Could this cause a problem? Do I need to get some high temp grease? Thoughts???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZU8ClFkZbA

Last edited by FLMustangMan; 05-27-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.6L making a ticking/chain slap noise???