4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Weird Ticking only under load!WITH VIDEO!!! sorry no 3d... sad :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:13 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

I would identify where the sound is comming from before you do anything. but it does sound like a exhaust leak of some sort
Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

And that's part of the problem since the noise only pops up on half throttle or more but only under load. Wasn't there a trick like using a thin metal pipe to track down air leaks? metal pipe
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

So here's the story so far, so I went out and got the donut exhaust flange gasket, dropped out my o/r bbk x- pipe, the old gasket looked like it was leaking from one side had a somewhat brown water stain on it that trailed out past the gasket. I'll have topmost a pic of it.

So I replaced it held everything back up and tightened it all back down. And now I got myself into a new predicament, all the ball flange joints are leaking now, I can feel gust of air jets from all of them, all except the flange I replaced.

Losend them up and tried to line them up again, retighten, still leaking, do it again using jack totry to level it out, still leaking, try tightening with my cheap impact wrench, impact universal joint on my impact wrench breaks, socket smacks me in the face at about 80mph. Ow

Called it quits covered in blood, went back to it today tried again to line it up still no good, is there something that I'm missing when trying to put on the x-pipe some kind of exhaust silicon to out on the ball joints? I'm not looking for a temp fix I want to do it right.

Took it to Midas Aaked them to line up and seal my x pipe, they claimed my exhaust had no leaks, asked him to check again, he swears there's no leaks, I paid there exhaust inspection fee, get home jack it up. Still leaking. Arrgh. ! I'm thinking silicone high tempshould solve this new issue
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM
cisurfer
5th Gear Member

Didn't you learn the first time taking it to them? Lol they're scum bags. Use rtv copper gasket maker. Do you have the slip in piece for the flange that goes on the manifold
Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

Lol no that was a recap off all that I've done so far.

Now what do you mean slip in piece? I have the donut gasket on the passenger front pipe that comes off the exhaust manifold. All the other are just ball socket type connectiOns with 2 bolt brackets to compress them together. Wait please tell me I'm not missing a part.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Adjusting the x-pipe can be a PITA to eliminate exhaust leaks. You could have one at the driver's side where the midpipe connects to the manifold. There is an insert that fits in there to snug it up. I had a leak there that sounded exactly like that, and only under load. I got the insert from UPR for about 25 bucks delivered.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

Upr? I'll have to look them up. I had no clue they made inserts for ball flanges. SEE I'M LEARNING! And they say I'm unteachable!ha!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nel86
Upr? I'll have to look them up. I had no clue they made inserts for ball flanges. SEE I'M LEARNING! And they say I'm unteachable!ha!
Apparently I am cause I can't find that insert u mentioned.

Well the car is sitting at my local ford dealership, they mentioned the driveshaft was hitting the muffler, so everything is on hold until their exhaust guy comes in.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

The mystery continues, got my pipes sealed up. Still ticking. I'm going to pull out my plugs and check them out in the morning.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BLKSTANGER
It does sound like an exhaust leak to me. I have had some that sounded just like it.
I Agree.. Sounds like a exhaust manifold gasket leaking or header gasket if he has headers.

Quick Reply: Weird Ticking only under load!WITH VIDEO!!! sorry no 3d... sad :(