4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bad shake after C-Spring install

Old 05-24-2011, 06:42 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Bad shake after C-Spring install

Hey guys.

I installed a set of Ford Racing C-Springs couple weeks ago. Did it myself. 03 GT. Job went fairly smooth and installed springs according to instructions. Taking note the position before installing. The only problems I had:

(1) The sway bar end links broke while trying to remove. Replaced with new. Easy.

(2) I had to use a torch and heat lower spindle to loosen lower ball joints to get them to break free. Applied heat slowly and never got "red hot". The torch fried the rubber boot on ball joints and had to press new ones in. Rented press tool from AutoZone which made doing a breeze. Making sure they were seated fully.

Now my problem: After install, I take for a ride. Knowing I might need a front end alignment. I stay in town and never reach speeds over 40mph. Few days later, I am called to my brothers, about 15 miles away. I notice at about 50mph on up, I got this bad "shake" to the car that was never there before. I would compare it to a tire that is SEVERELY unbalanced, or one with a broken belt. Its doesn't seem to shake steering wheel. Cant tell if its coming from front or back.

At first, I thought it may be some lug nuts coming loose. I re-check all and all are tight. Then I hit tire shop and have all four tires re-balanced. The shake is still there.

What could cause this and what should I check now? Handling seems fine, doesn't pull to one side or the other. Steering wheel is straight when I am driving straight. Doesn't shake, or isn't noticeable, at lower speeds and no hop to car. Anything over 50mph and up is just plain scary.

Thanks for any info guys. Please hurry, I am afraid to even drive it now and will take to mechanic as a last resort.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Bump... Anything? Anybody?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Crazycarnut
2nd Gear Member

Have you made sure all of the springs are seated properly?
Old 05-25-2011, 05:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Beleive it or not u dont just plop the springs in, they have to be sitting a certain way or it can cause symptoms exactly what you are describing (sometimes though it may not cause any symptoms). For the rear springs the bottom pig tail should be to the rear of the car pointing to the driver side. The front springs the pig tale should be right at the first of the two small size drain holes in the cup of the a-arm. Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:07 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Beleive it or not u dont just plop the springs in, they have to be sitting a certain way or it can cause symptoms exactly what you are describing (sometimes though it may not cause any symptoms). For the rear springs the bottom pig tail should be to the rear of the car pointing to the driver side. The front springs the pig tale should be right at the first of the two small size drain holes in the cup of the a-arm. Hope this helps.
Thanks guys. I'd hate to have to tear it all apart just to confirm springs are in correct position. When installing, I double checked position. Even went to the extent of positioning isolators in same wear marks as old springs. If I have to, then I guess I have no choice.

Anything else come to mind before I tear into it this weekend? Only other thing I notice is the top side of front tires are pointed inward a little. I think correct name would be caster or camber. Don't know which is which. Was going to order/install adjustable plates, then an alignment, but must get this problem corrected first.

One good thing, I wasn't real happy with how high the rear of the car still stands with the Ford C-springs. Be a good time to cut a little off and drop rear another inch or so. Thanks again guys. Anything else, please let me know. Greatly appreciated...
Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

You dont need to tear anything to check the springs, just removed the wheel and you can see how there sitting. the front tire issue is negative camber. I also wouldn't go cutting anything yet, after the springs settle the car will sit a little lower yet.

Last edited by uberstang1; 05-26-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
You dont need to tear anything to check the springs, just removed the wheel and you can see how there sitting. the front tire issue is negative camber. I also wouldn't go cutting anything yet, after the springs settle the car will sit a little lower yet.
Thanks for the info uberstang. I know the rear springs are like you said. Pig tail facing rear, toward drivers side. The front springs? I tried to align the lower pig tail with the first of the two small holes. But once the isolators are on springs, it was hard to see exactly were second hole is. I know I am real close, if not dead on. Is it a big deal if it were a little off? Like within a 1/4 or 1/8th inch? There is only maybe an inch between the two holes.

However, I think the shaking may be coming from the rear. I would expect a shaking feel in the steering wheel if were coming from the front. Steering wheel is smooth as silk. Like, if I let go of steering wheel when at speed, it doesn't shimmy back and forth in tune with the shaking... You think?

I think I will have someone drive my car on Interstate, as I follow in another car. Get it shaking bad, and see if I can't see anything that will point me in the right direction. Why can't anything be easy? At least for me, it never is...
Old 05-26-2011, 03:12 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Also gonna check sideways run out with my dial indicator. I have 1.5 inch wheel spacers on rear, and 3/8 inch on front. Maybe a chunk of **** got in between wheel and spacers somehow? Is there a tolerance I should maintain? All I know, something isn't right...

Thanks again. Much appreciated....
Old 05-27-2011, 11:36 AM
halljohnt

Check your universal joints in the drive shaft. The new ride height causes the drive shaft angle to change. This new angle causes the joints to flex in a different location which may be partially set up. Drive line vibrations are fast and are usually felt in the seat of your pants. I seen this once but was on a truck that had been lifted. Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by halljohnt
Check your universal joints in the drive shaft. The new ride height causes the drive shaft angle to change. This new angle causes the joints to flex in a different location which may be partially set up. Drive line vibrations are fast and are usually felt in the seat of your pants. I seen this once but was on a truck that had been lifted. Hope this helps.
\

Thanks for that input. I'm no rookie to universal joints going bad. At high speeds though, 60mph+, they usually cause more of a vibration effect/feel, rather than a shake or wobble feel. The rear of the car only dropped about an inch or less. Can't see that little bit putting enough strain on driveline to where it will shake car as bad as it is. I will definitely check them though.

Got my nephew coming over around 4pm today. Gonna have him drive it while I follow in my work van. If its as bad as it feels inside the car, I see no reason why I shouldn't see something going on outside car. Granted a freaking tire doesn't come flying off... Knock on wood...

I will post any results. Thanks again guys. Again, much appreciated...