4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fill me in on Nitros Oxide Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM
02mgstang

Default Fill me in on Nitros Oxide Please

I have an 02 Mustang GT. 5sp..With 66,000 mi... 4:10 gears. K&N CAI.... Flowmaster exhaust.. H-pipe.. I just mess around racing some of my friends every now and then... My questions concerning Nitros are: Whats the best brand to buy? Is it pretty easy to install? When is the best time to hit the button? lol.. I know... When your losing right? I really know nothing about nitros so i could really use everyones help in this area... .. Also..one of my friends said that Nitros is a bad idea for my 5sp trans... Of course.. He's one of the friends I've been racing... So I'm not sure.. I don't have 6,000 bucks for a supercharger so I'd like just a shot every now and then... Any idea on how long a 10lb bottle would last.. A general Idea... Thanks in advance..
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

My favorite brands are NOS and NX. The install is pretty easy. The wiring, switches, etc... is the most tedious part IMO. A 10lb. bottle will last around 8 full 1/4 miles give or take. If it's setup right, tuned, and you keep it at a 100-125 shot your car will be fine. I've been running mine for 3 years, and i haven't had a single problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 PM
liljojo4711
4th Gear Member

their are hundreds of threads on nitrous.... most will tell u to get ZEX because of ease of installation and their jets put out what they say they do. definitely get a window switch and bottle heater to keep optimum bottle temperature.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

N2O can be a nice mod, but I caution you that the temptation to use it often will exist. It is never paid for since you have to pay around $45 per bottle fill.
A window switch is a VERY GOOD idea so that you never activate N2O below 3000rpm and never hit your rev limiter on N2O.
You can safely run a 100 shot on your factory tune, but I would plan to get a tune if you go beyond that.
Install spark plugs that are one heat range cooler (TR6's) if you get a kit.
I would also run higher octane gas if you currently run 87oct.

Kit brand is mostly personal preference. I would stick to the larger manufacturer names and the quality should be good.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
N2O can be a nice mod, but I caution you that the temptation to use it often will exist. It is never paid for since you have to pay around $45 per bottle fill.
A window switch is a VERY GOOD idea so that you never activate N2O below 3000rpm and never hit your rev limiter on N2O.
You can safely run a 100 shot on your factory tune, but I would plan to get a tune if you go beyond that.
Install spark plugs that are one heat range cooler (TR6's) if you get a kit.
I would also run higher octane gas if you currently run 87oct.

Kit brand is mostly personal preference. I would stick to the larger manufacturer names and the quality should be good.
^^Good info^^

I am running a window switch, it activates at 3500 rpm, I am running a 100 shot but have a tune on my car from Bama I have NGK TR-6 spark plugs and I am running 93 octane. There are many threads on here about people running nitrous. Listen to people who are currently running it if you don't want to blow your engine. I bought a Dyno Tune nitrous setup and it works perfectly fine. Not a big name brand, but I have no problems. Just do a search for nitrous threads and all of your questions will be answered. GL!!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:44 AM
02mgstang

Thanks for the info.. Helps me out alot.. And I will do that search on Nitrous threads.. I also have the Bama race tune for high octane.. And I was wanting to get the BBK 78mm TB.. Thanks for the info on the plugs... I really had no idea...This forum really helps out alot...Thanks again..
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=02mgstang;7559211]I was wanting to get the BBK 78mm TB..QUOTE]

If you don't have any type of forced induction, 75mm would be the biggest I would go, just make sure you get a tune for it. And people will say thats a waste of money but I immediately felt the difference when I installed my 75mm along with the tune.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02mgstang
Thanks for the info.. Helps me out alot.. And I will do that search on Nitrous threads.. I also have the Bama race tune for high octane.. And I was wanting to get the BBK 78mm TB.. Thanks for the info on the plugs... I really had no idea...This forum really helps out alot...Thanks again..
If you have a custom tune made for higher octane, they have added more ignition timing which is a NO-NO with nitrous!!!

You should NOT add more timing than the factory program if you will run a 100 shot. If you get a tune for higher octane, you will need to remove ~1 degree of timing for every 40HP of nitrous before you spray, or have a second tune made with timing reduced which you need to download before you spray.

Safest method is simply not to add more timing and then you never have to worry about running spray on the wrong set-up.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
If you have a custom tune made for higher octane, they have added more ignition timing which is a NO-NO with nitrous!!!

You should NOT add more timing than the factory program if you will run a 100 shot. If you get a tune for higher octane, you will need to remove ~1 degree of timing for every 40HP of nitrous before you spray, or have a second tune made with timing reduced which you need to download before you spray.

Safest method is simply not to add more timing and then you never have to worry about running spray on the wrong set-up.
Shouldnt a custom tune specifically made for nitrous be safe? I am running a 100 shot tune that Bama made.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Huey you are correct, Bama can, and WILL make you a custom tune for nitrous, but sense he is still non-fi, his tune was made for an NA car, and custom NA tunes bump up the timing vs. yours, which has retarded the timing. He would need to get a custom tune for nitrous, as you did.

Quick Reply: Fill me in on Nitros Oxide Please