Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Bullitt Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp1588 View Post
Noob question, why do you want to turn off traction control? I read on the later model mustangs that are drive by wire that it retards timing and and closes the throttle, what does it do on these older stangs?
The primary reason for me is that it kills any chance at a good pass at the dragstrip. I stalled the car once in the staging lane before a pass, and got a huge surprise to realize that I had failed to turn the TC off when I restarted the car. That pass sucked!!!

A little wheel spin is a good thing when launching a Mustang. However, if the car detects this wheel spin, it will drastically cut your power to stop it and the effect lasts much longer than wanted.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
HiTech stageII cams, BBK Ceramic LongTubes, MAC ProChamber, Flowmaster50series, SteedaUDP, JLT CAI, MGW, SVT Focus Fuel Pump, H&R Race springs, Bilstein HD, MM CC Plates, MM FLSFC, Eibach Swaybars, MM LCA, MM Pan-hard, 3.91gears, AuburnPro diff, Moser31splines, 17x9 & 17x10.5 Bullitts, Dark smoked headlights w/ 55W HID, chin spoiler. 283rwhp/298torque (motor), 417rwhp/498torque (latest nitrous tune) 12.5@110.5mph (motor w/ 1.77 60'), 11.66@120.9mph (1.78 60')on nitrous.
TRUEBLUE3934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

Ahh, so it cuts timing in the older models as well. Noted. I think I'll keep it on unless I'm having some fun with it though.
jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Vehicle: 1998 SL500

It pulls timing and if needed disables injectors in a "round-robin" fashion--it will also apply and release the brake on the spinning wheel, again if needed...

I am on Jazzer's side as to traction control and ABS, they both remove control from me--also cars have always had anti-lock brake and traction control.

The pedal in the middle controls brake lock-up, and the skinny one on the right (sometimes combined with the left pedal) controls traction...

Quote:
To get the traction I'm ridin' the clutch
My pressure plate's burnin' that machine's too much...
Beach Boys -- Shut Down (1963)
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq

Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

Cool, thanks for the info. My old truck didn't have all these features, so I've never looked into them too hard. I got my old Dakota R/T sideways several times and always pulled out of it just fine. I'll turn off TC when I'm having some fun. haha
jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 03 cobra, 83 gt

any sct tuner can turn it off. When i had my dyno my tuner offered to turn mine off and haven had a problem since. Not just the old tuners, mine is less than a month old so i know the new ones can also.
redneck racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Vehicle: 1998 SL500

A tune created by a tuner using SCT Advantage or one of the other "pro" systems can have any parameter in the tune modified, however I believe that disabling the traction control via the handheld unit's "User Adjustable Options" is no longer possible, though it was on the earlier models.

The same hold's true for the rear O2 sensors and EGR. Again, a tuner using Advantage can still change them and that tune can be loaded into the handheld, however you cannot change the settings using only the handheld device as was once possible.
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq

Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.

Last edited by cliffyk; 07-24-2011 at 09:27 AM.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #17
bnicholsonnc

Vehicle: 03 Mustang GT

I got my SCT tuner from BAMA. After this round of snow, I decided I no longer cared for TC seeing as how it is next to useless (I have found that if you get into a sliding situation and tc kicks in while you are sideways, it is damn hard to recover...) I called BAMA up and they are sending me a new set of tunes with the TC disabled. Go BAMA!!! Your will not be disappointed with their service.
bnicholsonnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:23 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1997, 2003, 2011, button, car, control, disable, ford, gt, mustang, sct, trackson, traction, tuner, turn