4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang GT Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

A/C Compressor wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 PM
00Blue-Convert

Default A/C Compressor wont turn on

Hello

I can't seem to get the a/c compressor to turn on. I have tried putting jumper wires on the Low-side pressure switch to see if it would turn on but it didn't.

Can I test the High-pressure switch also??

I am thinking it must be either the compressor or CCRM but am not sure how to test? (I guess I could let it warm up and see if the cooling fan turns on?)

The car is driven by my gf (hers) and I was informed she drove through a flooded road and water was somewhat deep... (Pry to the rockers)

The only other problem with the car is the coolant level sensor is stuck.. not sure if that would cause anything with the A/c however.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Did you bother to check if it has enough freon in it to function? If its low it will not turn on. Its not always a electrical problem. Hell I've had 4 cars this week with inop AC (`tis the season) and I had to recharge and add dye so I can find the leak when they come back. Id take it to a shop that has a machine to recover/vacuum/recharge and inject dye in it and see if thats why it wont come on
Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

is there enough refrigerant in the system to make it operate properly? check the fuse for the compressor, check the relay. most of the time they wont turn on due to a low charge.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:52 PM
00Blue-Convert

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Did you bother to check if it has enough freon in it to function? If its low it will not turn on. Its not always a electrical problem. Hell I've had 4 cars this week with inop AC (`tis the season) and I had to recharge and add dye so I can find the leak when they come back. Id take it to a shop that has a machine to recover/vacuum/recharge and inject dye in it and see if thats why it wont come on
Originally Posted by jwog666
is there enough refrigerant in the system to make it operate properly? check the fuse for the compressor, check the relay. most of the time they wont turn on due to a low charge.

I checked fuse #23 and it was ok, Is there another one? The relay is the CCRM.. which is the relay inside the passenger fender (Also controls the cooling fans and fuel pump)

I jumped the low-side pressure switch to see if the compressor would turn on. If it turns on that means the refrigerant is low. But it did not turn on.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 00Blue-Convert
I checked fuse #23 and it was ok, Is there another one? The relay is the CCRM.. which is the relay inside the passenger fender (Also controls the cooling fans and fuel pump)

I jumped the low-side pressure switch to see if the compressor would turn on. If it turns on that means the refrigerant is low. But it did not turn on.

if you jump it and there is no power going to the switch it still wont turn on. you need to be checking for power and ground at the switch with the ac turned on.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
00Blue-Convert

Originally Posted by jwog666
if you jump it and there is no power going to the switch it still wont turn on. you need to be checking for power and ground at the switch with the ac turned on.
Edit: Ahh I see. I miss read it and hopefully its just low

Last edited by 00Blue-Convert; 06-07-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:02 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

mine didnt work last summer when i pulled it out of storage, and the clutch on it was seized up. kept turning it on and off randomly for a couple days as i was driving and one day i parked it and let it idle for a couple min with the air on and a cloud of rust came up and the a/c started working... just throwin that out there.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
00Blue-Convert

Thanks to jwog666 I realized I was jumping the Low side wrong. I re-did the test and the compressor kicked on and seemed to function right..

So I go out and get some R134a refill kit, Read instructions and it says to run the motor with Max A/c while re-filling. When I first put the gauge on it was reading really low (Almost in the green however). I Started it up and began filling and the compressor kicks on at 45psi and then the needle on the gauge drops and the compressor kicks off below the green line ~25psi.. The compressor would stay running for half a second and then kick off... I Shut off the car and the gauge now reads 100psi.. (From what Ive read this is ok for the warm temp outside)

Does it sound like I should through a low pressure switch in?

Man does r134a smell bad.. Label says " Causes instant death"
Old 06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

if the system leaked and air got in it wont operate properly and the pressures will be off. the only proper way to recharge a system is to recover any refrigerant that may be in the system, pull a vacuum on the system, and then recharge with the correct ammount of r134a, i usuall add some dye at this point, run the system for awhile, and check for leaks. for you to do this you will need to take it to a shop. i wouldnt even think about changing the low pressure switch or anything else until this has been done.

yes it smells funny and when exposed to flame creates a form of nerve gas, nothing to mess with.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

I explained all this in post #2 lol

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor wont turn on