4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 gt stock hood scoop mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
4.6GT_guy

Default 4.6 gt stock hood scoop mod?

So I have an 02 4.6 gt with the fake ram air hood scoop. Are there any mods, besides a whole new hood, to make the scoop look more functional such as removal of the honey comb grill or some kind of delete kit? Thanks much
Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

By "fake ram air hood scoop", are you talking about the stock GT hood? Any attempts to modifying the stock GT hood usually end in it flying off on the high way. I'd leave it alone, or buy a new hood.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As stated above I have also heard reports of its being torn off when the from has been "opened up", however I am not certain I have ever seen a first hand report of it happening--they always seem to be anecdotal and either second hand or attributed to some other forum or venue.

"Functional looking" is all any "ram air" scoop or what ever is, as at any normal vehicle speed (I.e. less than 220 MPH or so) air is incompressible--you can read more here?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

I see what he's going for though. I've often thought the same thing myself. Even a fake metal inlet flap or something.

Short of buying a new hood and installing a shaker that's all I've seen. I'd like to know if there's an answer to this myself. I'll look on the internet and report what I find...you do the same. I love the shape and style of this scoop, I just hate the gay fake plastic honey comb look inside.

American Muscle has this insert...it looks a little more realistic than this honeycomb garbage:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-sco...t-9904gt1.html

and I found this too:

http://www.mwspeedshop.com/scoopgrille1.htm

Here's a good thread to read through if you're crazy enough to try to drill out the honey comb and cut a hole in the hood. Seems risky to me, and there were posts from guys who claimed it caused water to get on their plugs, and others who said they never had any problems and went over 100mph without it ripping off. I don't see the point though if it provides no HP gain or real "needed" additional cooling or air. Here's the thread:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...our-input.html

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-10-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Drag5.0mustang
2nd Gear Member

I did the mod and haven't had any problems with it flying off or anything...

What I did was drill out all the honey comb holes to the biggest size you can with out reaming out the original hole size....

Then cut out the part on the hood with a dremel.... Took me no more than 2.5 hours to do the whole project..
If your still worried about it flying off just use some 3M automotive double sided tape... that will hold it on really really well!

I now no longer have the heat shield on the under side of the hood... If I were you I would just take it off... ive had it off my car for about a year now an I live in a super hot state and no issues with the paint bubbling or anything...
Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Drag5.0mustang
2nd Gear Member

Oh and ive gone 120+ mph with it like that
Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Very nicely done, looks sharp!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Buy a new hood..
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Josh17

if ur going to get ram air, get an actual ram air intake. it has a drain for the water from rain to go. all ur gonna do drilling that out is get rain on ur engine and crack the block. thats what ive been taught anyway
Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Josh17
if ur going to get ram air, get an actual ram air intake. it has a drain for the water from rain to go. all ur gonna do drilling that out is get rain on ur engine and crack the block. thats what ive been taught anyway
No--the worst it will do is short out the electrics. How hot do you think the block gets?

Quick Reply: 4.6 gt stock hood scoop mod?