4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 GT Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM
MustangNovice

Default 2001 GT Automatic Transmission

I am looking at purchasing a 2001 GT convertible with 30k miles on it and the only thing holding me back is the fact that it has an automatic transmission. The car is mint, truly mint, but I am concerned that the automatic transmission will mute some of the performance of the V8 power plant. Is there anything I can do to the automatic transmission to get the most out of the car's engine from a performance standpoint? I had a 2005 GT convertible that was a 5 sp that was a blast to drive. I have driven this car a few times, and the automatic transmission just seems to limit the car's performance. Any feedback/insight is much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Better gears (I think stock is 2.73 for auto vert), and a tune to firm up the shifts.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

My 01 pulls hard through the gears, my 03 is the same...if its hurting performance, Im not seeing it.

I thought stock gears were 3.27:1?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Put in gears, stall, and tune, and it will out perform a manual in most cases. But if you truly enjoy a manual more (i know i do) then that's what you should hold out for.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

I have an 01 Convertible and it's pretty powerful. I'm going to change the gears so i can go through the automatic shifts faster (which you could short shift with a manual). And the SCT X3 tuner I'm looking into will get that shift timing just right (as well as recalibrate the spedometer).

One thing to really look at is the condition of the convertible top as well. Has it been replaced lately. I say this because the stock vinyl shrinks over time and lends to leaking and the seperation of the rear window from the rest of the top. So when you say it's "mint", is the top in mint condition? You can tell if it's shriking by looking at where the structure bars run across the top. There will be faded lines across that top that don't line up with those bars' locations.

If you want a manual...hold out for one. I prefer to not have to shift all the time so this car is perfect for me. You don't want to have any regrets about a car as sweet as this.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Put in gears, stall, and tune,
What's a stall?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by Tommy079
What's a stall?
Just like manual transmission cars, cars with automatic transmissions need a way to let the engine turn while the wheels and gears in the transmission come to a stop. Manual transmission cars use a clutch, which completely disconnects the engine from the transmission. Automatic transmission cars use a torque converter.

A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling, which allows the engine to spin somewhat independently of the transmission. If the engine is turning slowly, such as when the car is idling at a stoplight, the amount of torque passed through the torque converter is very small, so keeping the car still requires only a light pressure on the brake pedal.

If you were to step on the gas pedal while the car is stopped, you would have to press harder on the brake to keep the car from moving. This is because when you step on the gas, the engine speeds up and pumps more fluid into the torque converter, causing more torque to be transmitted to the wheels.

(answers.com)

@ the OP:
Automatic GT
-4.10 gears
-Shift Kit
-Stall (like 3800 or higher)
-Custome Tune

This will allow you to be kicking stock and some bolt-on 5spd GT's all day & night.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Just like manual transmission cars, cars with automatic transmissions need a way to let the engine turn while the wheels and gears in the transmission come to a stop. Manual transmission cars use a clutch, which completely disconnects the engine from the transmission. Automatic transmission cars use a torque converter.

A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling, which allows the engine to spin somewhat independently of the transmission.
So a Stall is a "torque converter" ? Is that right? Like this: ?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/tci-to...er-0510gt.html
Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

All automatics have a torque convertor. A torque convertor has a preset speed at which the transmission input shaft will have to turn.

The convertor is basically a round tank with an output shaft. The housing bolts to the flexplate (flywheel) and always spins with the engine. inside the convertor there is a set of vanes that face a certain direction, and in close proximity to them is a 2nd set of vanes. The faster the set of vanes that is built into the convertor housing spin, the more force they put on the fluid in the converor, and forces it through the 2nd set of vanes that are mounted to the output shaft. The closer they are together, the lower speed will be required to make the output shaft spin...

So lets say that a stock convertor is set to stall at 1500 rpms. This means that at 1500 rpms, the transmission recieves torque from the engine, and soon thereafter is spinning the same speed as the engine.

But lets say your peak torque doesnt occur until 3800 rpms. So you go up to a 2800 rpm convertor, it is "looser" and the majority of torque isnt transmitted until that speed, which means you start out closer to your peak power.

Same difference as a 5 speed car revving the engine to 2800 rpms and letting out the clutch, vs letting it out at 1500/idle. More power at higher speeds.

So in short...you would tend to want to go from your stock stall speed, to a slightly higher stall speed, it will give you a little more noticeable kick in the pants when you punch it off the line.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

I'm starting to get it, but I think what you're saying is that if I get a 3800 torque converter (like Sonic suggested to the OP) I wouldn't shift to second, then third etc until I get to 3800 RPMs?

And that is more or less advantageous to a fast 1/4 time? And why is that?
(I know you already sorta explained that, but some of it hasn't sunk in )

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-10-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 GT Automatic Transmission