4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

fuel cell vs sumped tank?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:21 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Default fuel cell vs sumped tank?

just a question, i see there's plenty of affordable fuel cells out there - what size fuel cell would fit decently in the trunk, in the spare wheel well area? if you have any pics of your setup feel free to post em up. i'm wondering if i could possibly even eliminate the stock tank and cut the bottom of the spare well out then weld in some supports for a larger cell? or maybe run another pump that routes gas from the stock tank up into the fuel cell?

cant decide if i want to have my stock tank sumped for 100$, or get a fuel cell and install it in the trunk. jegs has some nice fuel cells for around the same price.

reason for it is i plan on swapping to a return style fuel system, with either a huge pump and 60lb injectors or dual pumps.

and any info on making the swap from a return-less to return is welcome info. i cant seem to find much of anything out there. i have the basics down, but any problems that anyone has run into or wiring diagrams/info on how they did their setup would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:57 AM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

look on lethal pperfopmance, they have a budget return style system , i have it in my car. i have the dual pump set up, they also have a triple pump . uses your tank and fuel line, good for like 800hp or somthing like that. i have no problems with it.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:28 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sinister99GT
look on lethal pperfopmance, they have a budget return style system , i have it in my car. i have the dual pump set up, they also have a triple pump . uses your tank and fuel line, good for like 800hp or somthing like that. i have no problems with it.
yea i saw that, uses the fore precision fuel hat right? i've heard there's problems though if you go below 1/4 tank tho on a GT tank? not something i'd want to risk. i suppose i could do that and weld in some baffles or buy a cobra tank, but seems like a bit of extra work for something that shouldnt have to be dealt with.

if i remember right a decent fuel system can be priced out piece by piece less than any of those "kits" -- i originally factored in 2 walbro's, 100$ for a welded sump, filters, lines/connectors, rails, FPR etc, and i think i still came out in the 700$ range. cant see any kits on the market even within 200$ of that price.

and i really dont see how a fuel hat could cost that much. 400$? seriously? they shouldnt have CNC milled it, they should have found a way to make it out of out stamped or cast steel like the stock hat. you cant even see the thing so there's no point in it being all shiny...
Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

i agree about the fuel hat , it looks cool but you cant see it. my car is a daily driver and i always keep 1/2 tank in it so that doesnt bother me. it is in the kenne bell instructions when you add boost to a 99 gt there is no baffle in the tank so i had to deal with that from the get go. i think its more of a disclaimer then a problem , i am only at the track 4 or 5 times a year so i dont worry about it that much. for a daily driver its loud enough with 2 in the tank let alone a big *** pump out side of it .i havent updated anything on here about my car but i just forged , stroked , CNC ported heads, custom ground bullet cams, a bunch of stuff.

thats why i upgraded the fuel system, i wanted to get rid of the boost-a-pump. i had it tuned a few weeks ago. after all the time on the dyno during tuning the kenne bell was heat soaked im sure but it made 492rwhp and 500ftlbs of torque. there is more in it , im sure a cold run would put it over 500. but no fuel issues at all with that kit. good luck with everything.

Last edited by sinister99GT; 07-01-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:21 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

all the fittings and crap really add up. i spent around 92 bucks just for the fittings and hose for my intake manifold. frigin ridiculous! lol I would just do a sumped tank and run dual walboros. pm lizzy im gonna use his setup when i get going.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I run dual walbro setup, sumped tank, bigger lines, edelbrock rails, 60# injectors, adjustable fpr...should be enough to support 800+rwhp:

Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

looks like a full on glenns performance setup yea?
lookin for at least mid to high 600's, low 700's if possible (limiting factor for that will probably be intake manifold at that point) nice Vic Jr btw, thats in my future i think, in order to chase down the 700's.

i priced out the fittings for ~100$, dual walbro's 220, sump for 100, FPR 100, rails 100$, havent really priced filters or lines yet, nor worked out the electronics. i heard someone say once to just run dual relays (one for each pump) off the ignition.

i guess i could try GP to see if they'll sell a kit minus the tank and just have my stock tank sumped. guy said he'll do it (clean it out, weld it up and seal it), with guarantee that it wont leak for 1 year for 100$ with whatever i want for fittings - i just have to supply the tank.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:02 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

yeah I went with the complete GP setup, but he will sell you everything you need less the sumped tank not a problem. His products are top notch and customer service is great. I wired my pumps exactly how you said, 2 inline fuses run off the turn of the key. What manifold are you currently running, the PI?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 97stanger
yeah I went with the complete GP setup, but he will sell you everything you need less the sumped tank not a problem. His products are top notch and customer service is great. I wired my pumps exactly how you said, 2 inline fuses run off the turn of the key. What manifold are you currently running, the PI?
nice. yea stock PI right now. still trying to track down some problems atm, as soon as i get back from the sand, i'll be able to figure out whats causing my car to run so rough.

not sure if i wanna get a 78mm BBK first and test the limits of the stock PI intake, or just skip the BBK and go straight for the edelbrock vic jr. might also look into either going with a complete custom hotside using existing pipes (forward facing eliminating about 50% of the piping and weight) or getting the new On3 2nd generation hotside and selling my 1st gen to make up the difference... the new hotside brings on boost a bit sooner, and seeing as i'm chasing down bigger numbers than i had planned, the T70 might not be enough. at the very least i'll need to grab a bigger A/R for the hotside (thinking .81)

so many things to do... so little time and money lol...

edit: not to mension i still gotta ditch this QA1 crap for something worth a damn... lol

Last edited by zero2005; 07-02-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

haha there are always things to worry about/keep modding, trust me

the manifold really depends on how high you plan on spinning the motor and how much boost you plan on pushing

what are the specs on your heads/cams?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel cell vs sumped tank?