4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can I order a Mustang at a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 AM
gsk11

Default Can I order a Mustang at a dealer?

I'm trying to buy a 99-04 Mustang GT but there are almost NONE for sale where I live. Do any of you know if USED car dealers will order a car from elsewhere to their dealer if I tell them I'm looking for a Mustang? I don't have the money to go flying across the country to test drive a Mustang and find out it's crap.

I see a lot of ads at used car dealers saying "Florida car" and stuff like that. So obviously they have cars brought up from the south.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by gsk11
I'm trying to buy a 99-04 Mustang GT but there are almost NONE for sale where I live. Do any of you know if USED car dealers will order a car from elsewhere to their dealer if I tell them I'm looking for a Mustang? I don't have the money to go flying across the country to test drive a Mustang and find out it's crap.
No used car dealer is going to pay to have a vehicle transported to their lot without your paying for it first, or leaving a sizable and likely non-refundable deposit.

I see a lot of ads at used car dealers saying "Florida car" and stuff like that. So obviously they have cars brought up from the south.
You must be a younger fella', I will let you in on a secret that 50+ years of motor vehicle buying has taught me--they lie...
  • The number of times they tell you a car "has never been crashed" = the number of times it has been crashed;

• The number of times they tell you "it has just been serviced" = the number of months since anyone even opened the hood¹;

• The number of times they say "it might need tires" = the number of chances out of 10 that a tire will blow out on the way home with your new car;

• The number of inspection points on their "Certified Pre-owned" checklist = the percentage of their markup over what they paid for the POS--E.g. a 101 Point Inspection means they are making 101% profit;

• The number of months over which a "Buy here/Pay here" dealer is willing to finance a loan = the selling price divided by 6 times what they paid for the POS--I.e. if you make 6 payments they are whole;

In other words if a used car salesman tells you it is raining out, look out the window and make sure before passing it on so that you don't end up looking like a fool...

-----------------------------------------------
¹ - Opening the hood to charge the battery with one of those chargers that could power a small farm doesn't count.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Your best bet is to buy from a private owner....but check carmax as well. they will move a car from dealer to dealer to make the sale and in most cases they wont charge you for transport...
Old 08-09-2011, 04:52 PM
MajMotorsports
1st Gear Member

do you try sites like autotrader, vehix, etc..?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

If you are friends with someone at your local dealer or are very familiar with the staff at a local dealer, you may be able to talk to them and see if they are willing to do a "locate" for you. There are a couple of dealerships that will search for a used car for you and basically trade one of their cars on the lot for another....much like a new car dealership does.

However, your best bet is to try one of the other sites suggested or carmax. And as always, do a thorough inspection and test drive before you buy.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

CARMAX could be an option for you.
However, CARMAX typically only deals in lower mileage cars of that age. They will transport the vehicle to a local store, but it will cost you a fee that is often in the $100-$350 range.
You can generally trust their assessment if you ask for a walk around by the holding dealer if you ask specifically about certain issues. Example; any ding/scratches, tears in upolstery, etc.

I would suggest just continuing your private owner search within the range you can drive to see the car. It may take a little while, but it is your best bet for a 8-13 year old car.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Robinator

Patience is the key. It took me over 6 months to find the one I was looking for. Good Luck!

-Rob
Old 08-10-2011, 06:01 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

I googled 2004 mustang Mach 1 and found several listed some in pennsylvania some in maryland all in excellent shape and reasonably priced. In fact if I didn't work at a large car dealership I would have likely bought 1 that fit the bill. I can get what I want through the dealership at cost and pay myself the commission on the purchase of the vehicle I buy! I May consider a 2004 cobra soon!