4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

stock clutch cable to tight??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

The FWA is all the way in and the quadrant has two hooks as you can see im using the hook closest to the firewall (can't see it in pic) but the furthest one isn't being use, so should i take the quadrant off and measure how close the first hook is and see what other products have to see if i can get one that offers less pull on the cable? thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:07 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

if someone could measure one of there quadrants to lmk i would greatly appreciate it, im going to measure my closest hook to the firewall and see what thats at and if anyone has a closer setup that would solve my issue!! thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

What clutch and TOB are you using? like i said, ford designed the TOB to be *slightly* riding on the fingers. but there should NOT be enough pressure on the fingers to cause any slippage. this was with the auto adjusting quadrant tho. it might still ride on the fingers with a solid quadrant, but thats because of that lead weight, and the angle at which the arm is at.

how tight is your cable? how new is it? also, did you replace the flywheel or have it resurfaced?

i dont like to say it but, sometimes BBK has been pegged with making shifty parts (as with any manufacturer) its possible you got a bad part.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bronxbomerss2
ok guys just finished everything with installing my tranny and new clutch, so i when i first started up the car the clutch pedal was to loose so i did the self adjustment with the cable by pushing up on the clutch pedal and pushing down, i heard a click and then it immediatly became much harder to push the clutch in, when i look at the TOB from the clutch cover i see when the car is off in neutral the TOB is already sitting the the fingers of the clutch, should this be? also i can feel the clutch not fully disengaging, so how do i add more slack onto the cable and if i can't i guess ill get a adjusting kit, any help is much appreciated guys, it sucks not being able to drive the car after all this work!!
When you did this "self adjustment" was the BBK quadrant installed?

I ask because when an aftermarket quadrant is installed the self adjustment mechanism is removed--I.e. there is no longer and form of self adjustment available.

That you pulled up on the pedal and "heard a click" when you pressed it in may mean that something broke or got misaligned during that procedure.

If you end up removing the quadrant for inspection can you get a few photos of it?

One other thought, are you certain the release lever is properly mounted on the pivot ball? There are spring clips that hold the lever to the ball, if they ended up between the ball and the lever, rather than holding the lever to the ball, things could be as you describe.

I don't think this it even possible for that to happen, but FWIW here's what it should look like:

One other possibility is that the pivot ball stud is not screwed in all the way, or that it is an aftermarket adjustable ball that is set too "high"...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Me again, I had a nagging in the back of my head so I took a look at the shop manual--the clutch pedal position is adjustable on the clutch quadrant shaft (a lesser know capability)--here is the adjustment procedure:

It could be that the "click" you heard during the attempted self adjustment was the pedal shifting position on the shaft--I do not see how this would limit the forward rotation of the quadrant so as to make the cable too tight, however I have also seen far stranger things happen...
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

ok to answer your guys questions no the cliffyk the adjustment was made while the stock quadrant was on there with the stock cable, the cable has 70k miles to my knowledge unless the previous owner had changed it, so right now i have the bbk FWA and double hook quadrant in, i literally need only 1 maybe 2 more ince of cable max, i am using the FORD RACING TOB, and FORD CLUTCH FORK, both NEW, also i had the stock flywheel resurfaced at a well know machine shop and it looked like they did a great job, everything lined up flush and fine without issue, and cliffyk again the clutch fork was installed properly the pivot ball is NEW from FORD, non adjustable, so again everything was new, i didn't take chances i just got the flywheel resurfaced thats the only part that i didn't get new, and yeah the click was pretty loud when i did the self adjustment but idk if it did anything to the cable and if it did it would have caused it to stretch i would think? anywhoo when i went to drive the car last night and i only drove up and down the street once it smelled like burnt clutch, like i was riding the clutch the whole time, never slipped or anything and pulled hard, so any help guys, i believe since the TOB is riding on the fingers thats cuasing the burnt smell so i either need a longer cable, NO FWA (it would give me maybe an inch i need idk?) or a new quadrant with a smaller hook point
Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

tried adjusting the clutch pedal cliffyk nothing it was all the way up, so im taking out my quadrant and measuring the closest hook and ill call AM or UPR and ask them if they have one like the quick hook quadrant that has a closer hook, but i believe my clutch cable is fine idk how to tell tho?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by bronxbomerss2
tried adjusting the clutch pedal cliffyk nothing it was all the way up, so im taking out my quadrant and measuring the closest hook and ill call AM or UPR and ask them if they have one like the quick hook quadrant that has a closer hook, but i believe my clutch cable is fine idk how to tell tho?
IDK, I suppose it is possible that Ford had different cables that got fitted at assembly (I know there were different offset motor mounts, selected and fitted on the line). Other than that I am out of ideas.

FWIW, my OEM cable broke a while back and as I needed a replacement NOW I got an ATP (Dorman) unit from Advance Auto Parts (stk # 16757, $59.99). I was planning on using it just until I could get a OEM replacement shipped in, however I found it to be well made with a high grade cable and sheath, and solid and well crimped end-pieces.

I would not hesitate to head out for Alaska with it sometime tonight.

I mention this because it might be worth buying one and comparing it's length to the cable you have, if they have it in stock they might even let you do that at the counter...
Old 09-06-2011, 11:20 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

im going to pull the quadrant and if anyone has either the 3 hook quadrant or single hook quadrant could measure for me and lmk i would know if i just bought a new quadrant i would be set, this sucks bc im pretty sure i won't be able to return this kit since i sawed off the piece on the cable to get it use with the FWA, there goes 100 bucks worth of nothing lol
Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

ok i measured the quadrant the first hook is right at 5 1/2 inches, so if anyone has any aftermarket quadrant if they could PLEASE measure there's i would greatly appreciate it, i guess i would need one that is right around 4 inches, thanks!!! i measured with string btw from where the cable first sits, not from the bottom of the quadrant where the hole is but where the groove starts where the cable would begin to sit, thanks guys!

Quick Reply: stock clutch cable to tight??