4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Seafoam treatment - no smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM
riverbottom

Originally Posted by cliffyk
There is no vacuum operated brake booster on the '96 through '04 4.6L GTs.

The 4.6L modular engine was too wide to fit a vacuum unit in, so Ford used their Hydroboost system which uses power steering system hydraulic pressure to provide power assist...
Hmm... maybe they were V6s, I'll have to look back through some of the forums I browsed through this weekend. All I know is I could never find a specific mention of the 4.6L DOHC and the best line to use. Just people arguing about brake booster vs. PCV. My PCV line goes straight to the intake manifold and looked like a good line to use so it went with that. But no smoke for me.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by riverbottom
Hmm... maybe they were V6s, I'll have to look back through some of the forums I browsed through this weekend. All I know is I could never find a specific mention of the 4.6L DOHC and the best line to use. Just people arguing about brake booster vs. PCV. My PCV line goes straight to the intake manifold and looked like a good line to use so it went with that. But no smoke for me.
The V6 does use a vacuum booster...

As to Seafoam I am the wrong guy to talk to, in 55+ years of wrenching my own internal combustion powered thingys I nave never used it, or had any reason to use it. In fact there is no reason to ever use Seafoam on a properly maintained engine, and it often causes more problems than it is capable of curing.

It was developed in the late 40s/early 50s as a "springtime" magic elixir for marine engines that normally ran cold in winter waters, were just shut off and stored in a boat house all winter, or otherwise poorly mainatained--that's the "Sea" part.

If your engine has never suffered those insults there is no reason to use it--ever. It's just snake-oil¹.

-----------------------------------------------
¹-Actually if it were real snake oil it might be of some value.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

The manifold on these cars goes deep down into a loop then up into the intake on the heads. The Seafoam is sitting in your intake runners in the manifold...its going to take some RPM's to pull the stuff up into the engine.

That doesnt mean go out and redline it in 1st gear. Could pull too much liquid in too fast.

when I did mine, I put it in 1st gear after 1/2 can..no smoke. Then accelerated slowly to 5000, then lifted, slowed, then harder to 4000ish..tons and tons of smoke.

Then I drove it normal, ran alot better!!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 AM
gtjason

I did this on my Saturn except I revved it as it was feeding in. It was working fine till my hand twitched & dumped a mass quantity in, Then burned a piston. LOL
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM
pallidamors
Banned

Always worked well for ne in the past. Car seemed to run better afterwards as well
Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=cliffyk;7677423]The V6 does use a vacuum booster...

As to Seafoam I am the wrong guy to talk to, in 55+ years of wrenching my own internal combustion powered thingys I nave never used it, or had any reason to use it. In fact there is no reason to ever use Seafoam on a properly maintained engine, and it often causes more problems than it is capable of curing.

It was developed in the late 40s/early 50s as a "springtime" magic elixir for marine engines that normally ran cold in winter waters, were just shut off and stored in a boat house all winter, or otherwise poorly mainatained--that's the "Sea" part.

If your engine has never suffered those insults there is no reason to use it--ever. It's just snake-oil¹.

-----------------------------------------------
¹-Actually if it were real snake oil it might be of some value.

Also believe it loosen crap up that may not be good for engine if used in oil causing bearing scoring also removes oil which lubes rings.
I agree with Cliffy 110% , I wouldnt use this stuff in my engines.

Not even a lawnmower

Just my 2
Old 09-05-2011, 08:17 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i'll probably use it on my recently acquired BMW, its got 246,000 miles, and i plan on rebuilding the motor as soon as i get the 'stang back on the streets. i wanna see how much crap that is built up inside it i can remove with just seafoam, that way when i go to take it apart things might pop off easier lol...
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Everyone talking bad about Seafoam, cracks me up...haha

The stuff is perfectly safe for any vehicle if you follow the directions, even vaguely follow them.

Ive used probably 3-4 cases of it in 4-5 years, Ive seen it decarbon heads and pistons. I had some non-believers, they had a 2 cylinder briggs engine, had so much carbon on the pistons and heads that the engine would lock up at TDC if it stopped just right. I removed the heads, noted thick crusty carbon...put the heads back on, warmed the engine, added seafoam to the gas, then to the intake until the engine stalled at idle, I let it sit for about 25 minutes, refired the engine and let it run at 1/2 throttle for 10-15 minutes, removed both heads again and I could see about 3/4 of the top of the piston, and the heads were clean. I noted less starting compression and faster starting and smoother idle.

My 89 Grand Wagoneer had some neglect issues...ran bad, started hard..the 2v autolite carb was pretty rough. I added 1/2 bottle of seafoam to the tank and let 1/2 can suck into the engine and some went right into the throat of the carb. I let it sit overnight, next morning it started right up, smoked for about 5 minutes..when I got to work it was running better than ever and I never had any other problems with the engine. I also had a sticking lifter that it cleaned up after I put some in the oil.

I treat every vehicle I can with it, the shop where I used to work..we treated all the cars, all the mowers, tractors...even if things seemed fine, fact it.it will do no harm, so it literally couldnt hurt.

If you ever want to see it in action, get an old carboned up piston, drip some seafoam on the piston, let it sit, then wipe it off...seafoam literally dissolves carbon.