4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:18 PM
The Green Lantern

Default Transmission Fluid Leak

I have a 5-speed manual GT, with a steeda short throw shifter if that matters. Okay so a couple days ago I noticed transmission fluid, or what I believe is transmission fluid leaking. Today when I parked it in the garage i could see exactly where it was leaking from and it seems to be dripping down right in front of the x in my x-pipe. I have an Bassani x-pipe with high flows. Anyways its red in color when i wipe it up and smells kinda funky. Not a expert, just thought it was tranny fluid. It seems to only leak for a while after i run the car for a bit. and its not a huge puddle by any means. If anyone knows off the top of their head where this leak is coming from that would be great. Any help is great also.
Thanks in advance
Old 09-16-2011, 04:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I would first suspect the transmission extension housing/output shaft seal, #23 in this diagram:

Old 09-16-2011, 04:43 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Where do you get all those amazingly detailed diagrams at anyway? Do you have your private stash of service manuals?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have the Ford factory manuals for 2000-2004 on DVD (actually hacked and copied to a NAS drive)...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

yeah replace the tail shaft seal and pull your shifter and re seal it to the tranny, that should solve the problem..
Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 AM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Had the same problem here. Replaced that seal and fixed it! Seal cost like $11 at Ford.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 AM
The Green Lantern

Thanks for the help guys. So I'm a noob to this stuff but I'm trying to get into fixing stuff like this but I just have no idea where to start. Should I leave this to a shop or is it somewhat of a simple fix. If it's somewhat simple, any kind of instruction or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Green Lantern
Thanks for the help guys. So I'm a noob to this stuff but I'm trying to get into fixing stuff like this but I just have no idea where to start. Should I leave this to a shop or is it somewhat of a simple fix. If it's somewhat simple, any kind of instruction or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Simple fix. Should take about 5 minutes, just take out the 4? bolts holding the drivashaft on, slide the driveshaft out of the transmission, take a flathead screwdriver and gently pop the old seal out, and gently tap the new seal back in. To put the seal back in, get a small piece of PVC pipe or something circular that's the same size at the seal and tap it back in! Put the driveshaft back in, Simple as that. You MAY have to unbolt the catback to drop the driveshaft, I didn't.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:29 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I, too, have the Steeda shifter and I just wanted to relay a similar experience. Similar, but not exactly the same.

If for some reason that doesn't fix it (and Cliffy is very likely correct), check to make sure the shifter is sealed to the transmission. When I replaced my clutch last year, I purchased a gasket from shiftergaskets.com and installed it as part of the normal routine.

For about a year, all was well, then the leak started. I found all 4 bolts loose on the shifter. My buddy, I believe, forgot to tighten them and gasket wasn't working all that well. The shape was not spot on, anyway. Now, Permatex Blue RTV is on duty.

Just a thought in case the seal is not the problem.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04BlueGT
I, too, have the Steeda shifter and I just wanted to relay a similar experience. Similar, but not exactly the same.

If for some reason that doesn't fix it (and Cliffy is very likely correct), check to make sure the shifter is sealed to the transmission. When I replaced my clutch last year, I purchased a gasket from shiftergaskets.com and installed it as part of the normal routine.

For about a year, all was well, then the leak started. I found all 4 bolts loose on the shifter. My buddy, I believe, forgot to tighten them and gasket wasn't working all that well. The shape was not spot on, anyway. Now, Permatex Blue RTV is on duty.

Just a thought in case the seal is not the problem.

Don't forget to mark your drive shaft/rear end flanges so that you put the drive shaft in exactly the same position it came out in, this is critical if you want to maintain drive shaft balance.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Leak