4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rev bouncing/bad launch

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Phil12

Default Rev bouncing/bad launch

Today, I unfortunately let my friend launch my car from a traffic light. He spent a good 5 seconds bouncing off the rev limiter and I heard a whipping or snapping sound come from the car. Kinda sounded like the exhaust.

1.) how much damage did this dude do to my car?
2.) what noise was I hearing?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Why even let a douche like that drive your car??? What the hell was he doing banging the rev limiter like that?

Does the car drive and sound OK now? Purpose of the rev limiter is to prevent damage from over-reving the motor.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

This is why I do not let anyone drive my car. In my past experience people will be like, "Let me now show you how to drive this car". Then proceed to beat the **** out of something they don't own.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Phil12

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Why even let a douche like that drive your car??? What the hell was he doing banging the rev limiter like that?

Does the car drive and sound OK now? Purpose of the rev limiter is to prevent damage from over-reving the motor.
The car sounds and drives fine. I just worry about losing compression in the engine. Nothings acting unusual. Shifter feels a little loose, but that's about it. A frien told me the sound I heard from the exhaust was the spark being cut off and so the valvetrain doesn't get damaged
Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hope everything turns out well. Also, guess you learned a valuable lesson..
Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You are worrying about nothing, as Trueblue' said the rev-limiter is there to prevent damage to the engine.

Your friend who told you about the "spark being cut off" was incorrect, on our cars the rev-limiter works by the PCM's intelligently shutting off the fuel injectors--it shuts each off in firing order sequence after it has completed the current injection cycle.

On an EFI engine that is the best way to do it because there is no possibility of lean mix detonation (at the next firing the cylinder is just full of compressed air) or raw fuel build up (if the spark were shut down and the injectors kept pumping)...

One last comment for your future consideration--there are only two other people in the world allowed to drive my car--my wife and my brother, and my brother only because he's 58 now...
Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Phil12

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You are worrying about nothing, as Trueblue' said the rev-limiter is there to prevent damage to the engine.

Your friend who told you about the "spark being cut off" was incorrect, on our cars the rev-limiter works by the PCM's intelligently shutting off the fuel injectors--it shuts each off in firing order sequence after it has completed the current injection cycle.

On an EFI engine that is the best way to do it because there is no possibility of lean mix detonation (at the next firing the cylinder is just full of compressed air) or raw fuel build up (if the spark were shut down and the injectors kept pumping)...

One last comment for your future consideration--there are only two other people in the world allowed to drive my car--my wife and my brother, and my
brother only because he's 58 now...
Well, that's comforting to hear. Out of curiousity, How hard can you bounce off a rev limiter. Like for example, can you floor it and still have it be effective?

And yeah, nobody else will ever touch my car
Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Phil12
Well, that's comforting to hear. Out of curiousity, How hard can you bounce off a rev limiter. Like for example, can you floor it and still have it be effective?

And yeah, nobody else will ever touch my car
You can, but only a fool would do so deliberately?

The rev-limiter would protect the engine in that situation, however it is there to protect from unintentional over-revving, not as a built-in toy for entertainment purposes. Repeated (or any) "Revving" of an engine is generally harmful as the internal components will be interacting, at high speeds, under stresses and strains much different than those experienced under load.

It is never good for any reciprocating machine to be operated at high speeds with no or greatly reduced load--or for that matter greatly increased load.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Phil12

Originally Posted by cliffyk
You can, but only a fool would do so deliberately?

The rev-limiter would protect the engine in that situation, however it is there to protect from unintentional over-revving, not as a built-in toy for entertainment purposes. Repeated (or any) "Revving" of an engine is generally harmful as the internal components will be interacting, at high speeds, under stresses and strains much different than those experienced under load.

It is never good for any reciprocating machine to be operated at high speeds with no or greatly reduced load--or for that matter greatly increased load.
I would never intentionally rev bounce for my own amusement. It was more or less a curiousity question. Thank you though.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:37 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Phil12
I would never intentionally rev bounce for my own amusement. It was more or less a curiousity question. Thank you though.
Then you are not a fool...

Quick Reply: Rev bouncing/bad launch