4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Best Exhaust for 2002 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:22 PM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

Default Best Exhaust for 2002 mustang gt

OK so here goes it, I was up in Asheville, NC last Month for a Mustang car show and rally. This was before i got my car so i was with my dad. He has and '07 GT/CS. But anyways, all the other stangs sounded loud and good and my dads was kinda quite because he has stock exhaust. So come this time next year i want to sound loud and good. I dont want it to be so loud it is annoying or disturbing but just enough to get some to fit in with the folks up in Asheville . Any suggestions for some good mufflers? Only performance mod is a Stack Racing CAI (Cold Air Intake).
Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 PM
duanalto

Default 2002 Exhaust suggestions

First, I think this is a great way to get good sound and a few extra HP...I am not very tolerant of people that just go for a loud exhaust, and so I was very happy when I installed my Steeda exhaust system. I installed a new offroad X pipe, with high flow cat's, and Steeda exhaust with crome tips...so basically everything from the headers back were replaced.

I'm pretty sure this is what you'd need:
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...ustang-gt.html

And the X pipe here:
Just found that its not on their site anymore; anyway, i'm sure you can find something out there...I'd try to go with high flow/low restriction cat's. An H pipe would even be good, as i think it would probably even give you a lower sounding tone..

I am planning to use the same exhaust on my next stang too....I'm looking at a 2012 now

Good luck!

PS...I'm not a mechanic...so please verify all parts needed with a professional prior to purchase!!!

Duane
Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I have borla stinger cat backs and a magnaflow catted X pipe, and I love the sound I get. It has a good head-turning rumble when you get on it, and sounds mean enough around town that the ricers will pretty much leave ya alone.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:00 AM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

thnx. i will check into it.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 AM
'02gtgarrett
2nd Gear Member

thnx lol. we have a bunch of those little civics with the flat black paint job and tin can for an exhaust pipe around here. one wanted to race my dads 1999 jeep grand cherokee. idk y. it is nothing special. it is our everyday driver since 1999. stupid ricers
Old 10-30-2011, 12:20 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Seems they all think they're in Fast and Furious...lol. Most of the exhaust kits out there are good. Go on American muscle and you can actually listen to sound clips and get an idea of what you want to go for. Of course listening through speakers doesnt do them much justice, but gives you an idea. Dont just go with whats cheapest. And know your state laws pertaining to emissions and noise. I also dont like people that run around with open headers just for the noise
Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

I'll add another opinion... Also keep in mind that the stock system really isn't bad. If you just want to add a little bit of nice V8 sound without spending a ton of money, consider just installing a pair of Flowmaster 40-series in place of your factory muffers. Frankly, I would never spend $650 on a cat-back system as some are suggesting here, when you have a nice stainless system already on the car. The difference between the stock 2.25 and the aftermarket 2.50 isn't going to show up much on a stock car. Is 2-3hp worth $600? Not to me. My car has factory exhaust with 40-series Flowmasters put on by the previous owner and I constantly get compliments about the sound.

I'll wait now for all the slams on Flowmaster mufflers... To me it's just "the" Mustang sound and I don't really want to change it. If I do anything else there, it'll be an O/R H-pipe, but then I'll also need MIL eliminators, programmer, etc.... It's a slippery slope!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:59 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

youre not gonna feel really any increase in hp when you put a catback, its more for the sound. if you go on youtube you can listen to different types, im pretty sure steeda exhausts are pretty quiet, if u want loud look into slp, borla stingers, magnaflow magnapacks, anything with straight through design is gonna be pretty loud. with an offroad midpipe its gonna be louder

Originally Posted by duanalto
I installed a new offroad X pipe, with high flow cat's

Duane
?... why not buy a catted x
Old 10-30-2011, 07:39 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I am not or WILL not slam on anybody's setup. Sound is subjective, so whtever you want to go for, its out there. We are giving options though so you can make a sound decision on your own(no pun intended). Given the information you have received, you have alot to look through and listen to to make that decsion.

I wanted loud enough without annoying people, so i went with the borlas, and I loke the way they look installed. Amd I got the Catted X, because I wanted it...lol. The cats help tame the noise, and of course are smog legal
Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

People usually start the anti-Flowmaster rants before now, so I'm really surprised :-) The American Thunder system is also an affordable option. I just wouldn't plunk $600+ on an exhaust cat-back system. I did put a Borla setup on my 2000 Camaro Z28 back in the day, when I was dumping unlimited amounts of cash into the car, but in that case, it was a very unique adjustable exhaust system (sound level adjustable with plates)...

With Mustangs, people usually say "everyone has Flowmasters, I want to sound different..." But... I have a Mustang, so I want it to sound like a Mustang. Who buys a Harley and tries to make it sound like a Yamaha, ya know?

Last edited by ZeroTX; 10-30-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 2002 mustang gt