4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WCT--Way Cool Tool...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I got it on eBay from a vendor named Norwalk Tools (mbberliner), though I sought it out after first seeing them being used in the pits in Daytona at the Coke Zero 400 in July and then when my friend with the M3 BMW had one.

They seem to be well-known in that community. It's funny, I thought there would be more interest here given our engines having a pretty solid history of spitting out improperly installed plugs--go figure...

Torque wrenches are to my way of doing things essential multipurpose tools--in fact I counted the other night and find I have seven of them¹. However it is also pretty convenient to just grab a known accurate dedicated tool and have at it. That's why as I mentioned above, I have in over 45+ years of turning wrenches accumulated a bunch of torque sticks; the neat thing about them is that they are either accurate or obviously broken.

----------------------------------------------
¹ - Three clickers from HF (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive), an S-K 1/2" beam unit, an Armstrong 1/4" dial type, an OTC 3/8" dial wrench, and a K-Tools 3/4" clicker. BTW/FWIW I have had the HF clickers checked several times over the years, and only once did one require re-calibration. That was the 3/8" drive unit and it was only a bit off it's published spec of +/- 4% (which is the same as Snap-On, MAC or anyone else's).

Last edited by cliffyk; 11-06-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Cliff ill pick one up whats the price.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Uber,

Just buy one from eBay, there has been much less interest than I thought there would be--to me it's almost a "must have" for anyone that does there own plug changes--I guess the blow-out stories will continue for some time yet...

I had spoken to the vendor in Connecticut about a group buy however we'd need 20+ buyers to get even a modest deal. He told me he's operating on a slim margin and I do not doubt that. Take eBay's and PayPal's cut off of the $21.95, then another $2,35 for USPS 1st Class postage and there's not much left.

I also contacted the manufacturer in Taiwan--would have to buy a minimum of 50 to get the shipping and import fees to make sense...
Old 11-06-2011, 11:39 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Well, im gonna pick up a set of these, i use sparkplug sockets on forklifts with aluminum heads everyday, various sizes, and the kit in the first link you provided would be perfect!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Would a wobble extension affect the slip point?
I can see one of these being a very worthwhile investment. My experience with my car is having to use an extension, which really isn't a good idea with a torque wrench. I would think putting the torque limiter on the socket itself would alleviate this issue.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
Would a wobble extension affect the slip point?
I can see one of these being a very worthwhile investment. My experience with my car is having to use an extension, which really isn't a good idea with a torque wrench. I would think putting the torque limiter on the socket itself would alleviate this issue.
As the limiting device is built into the socket, and therefore at a fixed angle, the angle of the torque applied to the socket should not affect the limiter's accuracy...
Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I had a question asking if the photos were of the actual tool--they are, here's a long shot of it in amongst the clutter of my "clean" workshop:

Yea clean radio shack...

My cool tool for broken plugs....
Attached Thumbnails WCT--Way Cool Tool...-shack-b.jpg   WCT--Way Cool Tool...-lisle-65600.jpg