4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

WCT--Way Cool Tool...

Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default WCT--Way Cool Tool...

I happened upon this tool while assisting a friend with his Beemer M3 and ordered one for testing and evaluation--to minimise the suspense here it is:

What it is, is a spark plug socket with a built-in torque limiter. It works because in the head is a a spring-loaded one-way ramp "ratchet" type device. The input to the tool (a standard 3/8" drive socket recess) is ground to have 4 ramps against which a spring-loaded ball acts. The pre-load on the ball is calibrated such that it climbs and then quite noticeably jumps (releases from) the ramp at a a calibrated input torque--in the case of the 16 mm (5/8") socket used with out plugs this torque setting is 20 Nm (Newton meters), or 14.75 lbft.

Note: This is intended to be used ONLY with hand tool input--NOT powered wrenches, torque or otherwise--it is not a torque stick.

While a bit higher than the 11-13 lbft recommended by Ford, it happens to be the torque I have been using for nearly 5 years on my car and others with no issues--and beats the crap out of not torquing the plugs at all.

In addition it is a very nice plug socket, long enough to keep the socket from canting in the plug bore. It also has the typical plug socket rubber gripping insert, and a somewhat atypical (meaning well designed) shallow 12-point drive socket to minimise the plug's cocking in the socket itself.

My initial tests proved it to release at 175 to 180 lbin (14.6 to 15.0 lbft) just at it's spec. I then ran it through 450 to 600 rapid cycles¹ using a Milwaukee drill/driver at 600 RPM and found it to continue to cycle at 170 to 178 lbin, 14.2 to 14.8 lbft. Letting it cool back to room temp got single releases in the 174 to 179 lbin (14.5 to 14.9 lbft) range.

Short story is I like it, accurate and convenient as heck--if any one is interested I might look into a group buy, or I may import some myself and see what I can get 'em for...

-----------------------------------------
¹ - This is the equivalent of torquing a set of 8 plugs, 70 times in a minute or so...

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-31-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I had a question asking if the photos were of the actual tool--they are, here's a long shot of it in amongst the clutter of my "clean" workshop:

Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Dang....neat stuff, cliff.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 PM
SNOW

I'll take one please.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Where can we get one?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Somebody services/works with oscilloscopes for a living lol.

Thats a pretty nifty little tool thats good for a beginner or for a build that really really requires the peace of mind that it brings. Outside of that its really not too much to ask that a person own and know how to use a torque wrench and knows the easy/proper way to torque spark plugs. I find that the easiest way to prevent cross-threading or too much torque is to start the spark plug by hand by holding the ratchet extension(s) by hand(disconnect the extension from the torque wrench). Once you have it started then hook up the torque wrench and tighten. Its almost idiot proof.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Somebody services/works with oscilloscopes for a living lol.

Thats a pretty nifty little tool thats good for a beginner or for a build that really really requires the peace of mind that it brings. Outside of that its really not too much to ask that a person own and know how to use a torque wrench and knows the easy/proper way to torque spark plugs. I find that the easiest way to prevent cross-threading or too much torque is to start the spark plug by hand by holding the ratchet extension(s) by hand(disconnect the extension from the torque wrench). Once you have it started then hook up the torque wrench and tighten. Its almost idiot proof.
I agree 110% (may 180%) about having torque wrenches--crap, I have at least 1/2 dozen, maybe more--however I also have a couple sets of standard torque sticks, and individual sticks for specific values; all of which make my life more convenient. Here's using a stick on the driven/clutch assembly of my scooter:

If it can make your life easier, and much more accurate/repeatable, then why no go for it...

-------------------------------------------------
BTW, I now and then try to buy used analog test equipment at auctions and on eBay, and turn a buck refurbishing/calibrating/etc--I do OK, supports my habit for other enthusiasms...
Old 11-05-2011, 05:14 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in this, but FWIW I asked the Snap-On guy check it this morning on their torque wrench calibrator--175 lbin (14.6 lbft) right on the nose in 4 tests...
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I am quite interested in this. I bet its cheaper than getting a new torque wrench that reads below 50ft-lbs! My snap on guy quoted one for me at 295 dollars. I dont use one that small enough to justify buying one tbh.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:51 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

You can get a serviceable torque wrench at harbor freight for about $30 that reads below 50ft/lb. That does look like a nifty tool though, where do you get it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WCT--Way Cool Tool...