4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gabriel Hi-Jackers. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 PM
navymm1swaw

Default Gabriel Hi-Jackers. Any good?

part#49234 Gabriel HIJACKER Shocks

I did a search over the net and on this forum site and I have found almost no reviews. I wanted to know if anyone has ever used these? The reason I am thinking of going adjustable is because I have an old Goldwing and I will be towing it with my Mustang. My rear shocks are currently shot now, so I need to replace them anyway. I bottom out going over speed-bumps unloaded already. When I add the trailer and bike, I estimate the tongue weight to be between 150 and 200 pounds loaded. I looked at "Airlift" and I don't like the way they look.

My questions are:
Is going to an air adjustable shock NOT recommended for a Mustang? I will have the air shock on permanently (towing or not towing).

Is a factory shock able to handle a 200 pound tongue weight without bottoming out while going over speed-bumps or road imperfections?

If the air shocks are not recommended, what shocks do you think would be best for my application?

Would it be best to go with a longer spring and a factory shock?

I do not intend on getting an air control module due to the fact that the bike will be towed, at most, twice a year.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Do not use them. They take the weight off of your springs and transfer directly to the body. The transition pan where the top of the shock bolts to is not strong enough to handle the weight and will cause cracking.

Any quality factory style shock should keep you from bottoming out like you describe. If new shocks dont fix it then look at factory hieght rear spirings. If your car is lowered then restore the factory hieght. You should be able to handle 200lbs that is about the same weight as a very large load of groceries in the trunk.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 AM
my97cobra
1st Gear Member

I tried them last year and it's a waste of time. You will not like the ride. I did install Airlift on the rear of my 97 cobra last June and for the cost.....someone would have to prove there is something better before I'd take them off. Stopped my bumpsteer from bottoming out and my 3 kids can sit in the back now without a problem. Last week I took a chance and install air bags in the front coil springs. Both front and rear run off the same small 1000 compressor. I put two cheap air valves in line so I can adjust the front separate from the rear. It rides like it did before I lowered it. 2 inch drop in the front and 1.8 in the rear. I talked with airlift before doing it and they recommended using air bags for a 91-96 toyota previa since they are only 7 inches high.