4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Symtoms of a fuel pump failure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Seems to me, you can just turn the key on (without starting motor) and hear the pump getting power. Just like the 12 vt. test, but easier so give it a try

Jazzer
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Seems to me, you can just turn the key on (without starting motor) and hear the pump getting power. Just like the 12 vt. test, but easier so give it a try

Jazzer
LOL...Not if the wiring is the issue to begin
Old 11-25-2011, 06:28 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Repzard
That is the plug, Just make sure you test the right connector and wires.
Test the one going toward the tank not the body with 12V on wires stated in my last post(spare batt works or jump box).
If you hear FP come on then its good or can be weak if you here it sputter.

You can test the other connector (one toward bumper) with a test light for power issue with a buddy.Turn on key and if test light lights up FP is getting power.its better to test with mutimeter to see volts.

This is how I tested mine when Stock FP failed

Good Luck
Thank you! I tested it out, and it is getting power. It actually ended up starting up for a few seconds even... stupid car haha.

Jazzer
I couldn't hear anything even underneath the car. It IS getting fuel though(just not enough), which is good.

Originally Posted by Repzard
LOL...Not if the wiring is the issue to begin
Exactly, i wasn't 100% it was the fuel pump

Again thank you both for your help, you've spent a lot of time writing/helping on the topic, it's greatly appreciated!

Last edited by MySlowGT; 11-25-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:34 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

P.S. I am ordering a Fuel Pump really soon thanks everyone.

BTW I also have one other thing in the back of my mind... does CCRM's (constant control relay modules) go out in stages? Just wondering if I'm going to have to replace both... not the biggest worry, 99.999% it's just the pump, and will be replacing it regardless .
Old 11-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If it is inexpensive, has moving parts and you are right there.... just replace it!

I have found, through LOTS of trial/error, to replace inexpensive, yet near the end of their expected life, items before they fail! Using this philosophy, I drove my '85 GT for 20+ years and it NEVER left me stranded on the side of the road. I replaced the first water pump when it began to leak and the second one 50K miles later, when I decided to replace the timing chain and had to remove the pump to get to it. I was having what I thought to be ignition issues, when I replaced the fuel pump, just because it was old. Turns out, the pump WAS my problem and was just an afterthought to replace it.

I replace nearly everything, based on expected mileage or standard lifespan. I do so probably 15%~20% early in both cases. May sound expensive, but not as much as getting towed in the middle of the night. Much less the absolutely LOUSY timing some of these things can have when they decide to fail completely

Jazzer... safer then sorryer
Old 11-25-2011, 08:52 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

If it is inexpensive, has moving parts and you are right there.... just replace it!

I have found, through LOTS of trial/error, to replace inexpensive, yet near the end of their expected life, items before they fail! Using this philosophy, I drove my '85 GT for 20+ years and it NEVER left me stranded on the side of the road. I replaced the first water pump when it began to leak and the second one 50K miles later, when I decided to replace the timing chain and had to remove the pump to get to it. I was having what I thought to be ignition issues, when I replaced the fuel pump, just because it was old. Turns out, the pump WAS my problem and was just an afterthought to replace it.

I replace nearly everything, based on expected mileage or standard lifespan. I do so probably 15%~20% early in both cases. May sound expensive, but not as much as getting towed in the middle of the night. Much less the absolutely LOUSY timing some of these things can have when they decide to fail completely

Jazzer... safer then sorryer
If I'm correct the CCRM/PCM (powertrain control module) isn't a maintenance issue, and should "technically" last forever. If it is the CCRM I'll replace it after the pump, i'm almost positive it isn't the CCRM but i could be wrong.

And get AAA! $100 a year for 250 mile tow, or i think 45? for a 100 miles. Or go through your insurance, mine only offers a 15mile tow but it's $11 for 6 months... even if you never use it it's well worth the piece of mind!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Yup.... I have a flat-bed package with my insurance company, but have NO intentions of using it, as I would rather not break down (no guarantees regardless of how diligent I am about maintainance!)

I am certainly not unique, in that exactly which one of us actually WANTS to break down and need a tow? Fortunately, I have always been able to afford the loss of some pro-rated wear of a part, than wait until it has already failed to replace it.

Besides, one never knows where he/she will be at the time of needing a tow. You may be 10 miles from home on a lazy Saturday afternoon with nothing on your schedule to do that night and nowhere to be.

On the other hand, you may not......
Old 11-25-2011, 11:00 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

Yup.... I have a flat-bed package with my insurance company, but have NO intentions of using it, as I would rather not break down (no guarantees regardless of how diligent I am about maintainance!)

I am certainly not unique, in that exactly which one of us actually WANTS to break down and need a tow? Fortunately, I have always been able to afford the loss of some pro-rated wear of a part, than wait until it has already failed to replace it.

Besides, one never knows where he/she will be at the time of needing a tow. You may be 10 miles from home on a lazy Saturday afternoon with nothing on your schedule to do that night and nowhere to be.

On the other hand, you may not......
I completely agree... and honestly, things like oil, spark plugs, brakes ect ect are things you think about on a regular basis, but tbh i never even thought about my fuel pump. A little ignorant of me i know but it is what it is, and i was lucky i wasn't doing anything important when it gave out.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member

Sorry to bump the thread so late but i do have a couple questions.

Is there a proper way to remove this line? Or just push the tabs and pull?

Also all i need to remove is the fuel line attached to the fuel filter, filler neck, and this line and the tank should drop free after i unbolt the straps right?

Thanks guys, sorry for all the questions
Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MySlowGT
OMG who cut into their car to replace the pump?

Nevermind i read it... poor guy. And there was 2 or 3 people in there that decided to cut into their trucks. That's what forums are for! read before cutting stuff!

The fuel pump write up is pretty good! Thanks again

(had to throw this one in here!)

edit: can anyone tell i like using icons? haha
I had an Explorer that was always going though fuel pumps. I cut a panel out of the floor board for easy access. Made a patch panel for it with weather strip and all. It worked great for the ten years I owned the truck. I could change out the fuel pump in minutes. Access panels should come from the factory IMHO Ha Ha.

Quick Reply: Symtoms of a fuel pump failure?