4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what would you do and where would you get it from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 08:38 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Since you are going to retain the Saleen blower, really to get 400 hp cams and exhuast would get you there. Depends on how much you trust your tuner on the stock bottom end at that power level. I've seen several do it just fine.

To be safe, I'd get a forged low compression rotating assembly and reusing everything you have. (No need to buy a long block.) Toss in some good blower cams and call it a day. You'll be well within your budget and match your target power goals.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 AM
04#231

Thanks Matt for the feedback, I know I need at least a shortblock but since the car has not been torn down yet I am not sure how the heads look or anything else look inside. If I can get away with a short block with a fully forged bottom end and have my heads ported or even upgrade to the Trick Flow heads or something else, along with Cams I will do that. Although going with a full 04/ Cobra Set up would be ideal and I may look into that regardless. I will have a better direction on what I need to do in a couple of months. Maybe sooner if I have it broken down in Jan as opposed to Feb/ March. We are in the snow season here so no hurry at this point. Peace. BTW liking that 98 Roush you have , that has to be pretty rare?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

if i remember right, trick flow heads are crap for boost applications. cant remember where i read that. for the money you'd be better off gettin your stock heads ported, throwing in some cams, and tossing on some boost springs. if you want to replace or modify valves for whatever reason, you can either go with modular head shop "stockmod" valves, which are stock valves with the bottom lip ground off, or have a machine shop do the same thing.

if your gunna stay 2v, seriously, just stick with stock heads. no reason spending all that money on some badass 2v heads, when you could get stock 4v heads which will outflow the 2v...

you'll have PLENTY more things to upgrade before you reach the "limit" of a stock style 2v. the trick flow twisted wedge heads were designed for high flow n/a high rpm motors.

if your having problems with "lack of HP" and you get a forged block, bigger blower + more boost will get you what you want (just remember the supporting mods & tune).

there's an article over on MHS' website, guy made 670 rwhp/700+rwtq on something like 22 or 24 psi (turbo), built block, MHS stage 2 heads, MHS stage turbo 2 cams and their boost package. the limiting factor was the plastic intake manifold...

trick flows from AM.com are 2200, not including cams. i paid the same for stage 1 heads, stage 3 boost springs&retainers, stage 2 turbo cams degreed and installed, and shipped to my door and includes TFS crank gears.

edit: oh and, one of the reasons the twisted wedge arent great for boost is with a stock compression motor, it'll run at something like a 10:1 compression ratio, so you'd have to compensate with a bigger dish to get it back down.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you are going to get the cams at some point anyway, start there and see where you end up with your current set up. You might be very happy for a lot less $$.