4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what would you do and where would you get it from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
04#231

Default what would you do and where would you get it from?

I came here as you guys are all interested in the 2v and 4 v cars and as you know the 04 saleen is a 2v car with a blower. Unless you got an Extreme car with the forged bottom end which I do not have. So what I have is a Supercharged 2004 Saleen that I am going to do a major engine upgrade this winter. I am looking at longblocks from DSS racing and Blow By Racing as well as Ford Racing. I have a motor budget of about 5k-6k plus or minus a little. I still have to pay for install. I am going to stay with the stock Sc for now as I won't have budget to go with a KB or the bigger Saleen blower. I am looking at long tube headers and H pipe from JBA. Better cooling as these things are totaly heat soaked. What would you do? 39 lb injectors, along with 90 mm mass air. I am also going to upgrade stock brakes with Baer Decelerator Rotors and SS Lines and Hawk HPS Rotors for the street. I do not track the car so I have been told this alone will make a big improvement over stock. My car did not come with the upgraded brakes from saleen. So at the end of the day I am looking for about 450-470hp to the crank and at least 400 to the wheels. What is a good combination that will not break the bank that I can start digging into for information that would get me there or even further than that. Also if you have folks that I can talk to about this that would be great as well.

Thanks again.
peace.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:07 PM
04#231

Really? 96 views and no feedback? I would have thought that some of you GT owners with the 2v motors would have been all over this with advice, that is why I posted here. No issues certainly but it surprises me that with all the built up GT's out there with 4-500 to even 600 hp no one has any direction to point me in.. Anyways Peace.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

What numbers are the New Edge Saleens putting down now? I thought they were putting down 400 RWHP..
Old 11-19-2011, 07:47 PM
02GTman
3rd Gear Member

That's alot of reading. Can you give us the Cliff notes version please.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:04 AM
03FASTGT
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'm sorry what are you asking? like ****.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 04#231
Really? 96 views and no feedback? I would have thought that some of you GT owners with the 2v motors would have been all over this with advice, that is why I posted here. No issues certainly but it surprises me that with all the built up GT's out there with 4-500 to even 600 hp no one has any direction to point me in.. Anyways Peace.
Sorry dude, not everyone that reads each post (including me) has the knowledge to answer your questions; however we are interested in what some of the more knowledgeable replies might be. It sounds like you have an interesting and somewhat rare car. That and the title of your thread makes people curious; thus the 96+ views. I'll follow this thread and hopefuly learn something from it. In the meantime, just be patient; someone with the knowledge and experience you need will likely answer you soon. Calling people out b/c no one has yet replied is not going to gather much goodwill.

Peace back at ya :-)
Old 11-21-2011, 02:07 PM
04#231

Sorry guys did not mean to call anyone out on this. Looking for suggestions on a new longblock for my 04 Saleen. Would you go with DSS, Ford Racing, BlowBy Racing or anyone else I can look at? What else would you reccomend, where would you sugggest I look to buy the parts? Anything else you can suggest I do with the motor is appreciated as well, keep in mind the Supercharger from Saleen will remain in place. I am on a budget so twin turbo set ups and bigger blowers are out for now.

Stock Saleen says 375hp to the crank but I think that was optimistic. My Dyno did not show that after I added the mods on my signature. The Saleen E cars with all forged internals were putting down 425 supposedly in 2003 and in 2004 they were bumped up to 445 but not sure if that was to crank or RWHP. I am assuming Crank.

Thanks for looking

Peace.

Last edited by 04#231; 11-21-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Well, I wouldn't recommend headers as they won't give you much hp for the money and would go with a nice set of ported heads and cams along w/ your forged motor. a 3.33 pulley and you will reach your goal of 400 rwhp easily.

Why only to 400 rwhp on a built motor?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I am about to install a Livernois long-block with all forged/zero-balanced internals and have a goal of no more than 400 HP as well.

I would like to stay N/A, but may end up with a Vortec and 2~3 lbs. one day for an ultimate goal of maybe 425 tops. I will continue to AX my ride and just have no use for the extra horses myself. Forged internals will help durability, should I go FI one day and worth the peace of mind for me, for sure

I don't see you getting a forged long-block built for a budget topping out a little over $6K I am going Livernois and is known to be VERY good, but on the more expensive side for sure. I would recommend you look into MMR, as I heard they are having a sale right now. I figure you are gonna want to go forged and all, as I am, and see your budget as needing a bit of room to grow, but maybe not

As for brakes, it is really not necessary to go for a new brake system. Just go with the pads and SS lines you already mentioned and most definetely an upgrade of fluid! I would go at least 5.1, but all out race fluid will hold up better and minimally more expensive, if at all. See my Brakes Upgrade thread (sig) and save the money you WOULD have spent on brakes, for that go-go motor

Jazzer

PS. Not all Saleens were blown, as mine was not. I did meet the new owner of 03-#0013 and was a termi Saleen. As clean as you could POSSIBLY imagine and then add in a full-detail good enough to be a display for a Saleen convention with every top exec. of Saleen Inc. Had less than 8K on the ODO with a passenger seat that was sat in EXACTLY one time! The owner used to trailer it to/from car shows and was immaculate, to say the least.

He picked it up for...... (scroll down to the bottom, if you want to cry)

$25,500

Last edited by Jazzer The Cat; 11-21-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:34 AM
04#231

Thanks guys, that is the feedback and other options I was looking for. I will look into Livernois's website as well MMR ? Is that the name of the company. Either way I will look on the web. As far as the 6k budget I expect if I go this route I will need to expand on it a bit maybe $1000.00. Ford Racing has the Aluminator long block for about $6900.00 with Heads, cams, oil pan etc. So I think I can look into that. But again the guy that I have doing the work is going to work out some options for me to look at.
Jazzer- I took your advice for front brakes for about $400. I can get the Baer Cross drilled rotors and SS brake lines, and hawk pads for the front. I want the better stopping power but I also think they will look better behind the Saleen wheels. As far as why I am looking at 400- 450hp I would love to get to 600 hp and could do that with this new block but that would mean a KB or Vortec charger and that is about 3-4K more and I would rather just stay with the Saleen Charger now and add some other things the car needs like the brakes, a light bar (it is a convertible but did not come with the light bar) and a few odds and ends to tie up the motor plus installation is going to run probably 3K for everything, so budget plays a role here. BTW my car has 8600 miles on it she is very much a garage queen although not the extent that Cobra is.. Wow.. Love to have a Cobra Saleen but never had one pop up at the right time. Good luck Jazzer with the new motor, I knew you were into Auto X I have followed your posts from time to time but I am sure you will love having that extra power. Keep the ideas coming. This is all leading up to a build in the Feb/March time frame. Peace.