4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Had alarm go off when starting car

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:57 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Default Had alarm go off when starting car

I stopped for gas today and when I got back in my car to start it the alarm went off. The car wouldn't start and the door locks were going crazy going up and down real fast. I could hear loud clicking going on under my dash at the same time. I tried the remote thinking I might have hit the panic button but nothing worked to shut it off. I popped the hood the try and pull the negative terminal but it was on tight. The alarm kept resetting and going off again and again. I found a guy with some pliers and got the terminal off. Every time I put it back on the alarm started the cycle all over. I finally found the bypass button on the kick panel and got it to stop. I cut the wires to the siren so I could trouble shoot it as every time I tried to start the car it would start going off again. I found that holding the bypass and turning the key let me get the car started and back on the road. I got home and cleaned up my terminals as they were dirty. Everything works now but when I go to start the car I have to hold the bypass button for it to start.
Does anyone have a clue to what happened or how to get the alarm system back to where it was before all this.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Aftermarket alarm time for a new one most likely.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:19 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There was never any factory installed alarm on any new-edge Mustang, however there was a Ford branded, dealer installed, alarm system made by Code Alarm, which was later sucked up by AudioVox.

They were not extra high-quality, but were not horrible either--AFAIK they were only offered for a couple of years and then dropped when SecuriLock (PATS) finally got certified by the insurance underwriters. You may find a Ford dealer that still offers some support for the Ford branded systems.

If it's not that system you will need to figure out what brand/model alarm it is and see if you can find any info about it on the web--or find a local auto alarm shop, those guys will probably be able to recognize it.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Your battery has a bad cell. Replace the battery. You can take it to an auto parts store and have them either test it in the car or out of the car if you drive it to them.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:51 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1, that could very well be--simple enough to check...
Old 11-19-2011, 11:57 AM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

The alarm is the dealer installed unit with the Ford name on it. Im thinking it might have been the dirty terminals and when I turned the key to start the car the connection wasn't good enough to handle the load. And then the alarm wacked out. It did happen right when I turned the key to start the car. After cleaning it up everything seems back to normal except having to hold the bypass button.
I have read on an alarm website that all you have to do is get in the kick panel and ground out the dark green/purple wire to the body to deactivate the alarm system. Can anyone confirm this? The PATS would still work just not the aftermarket alarm.