4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Balljoints popping or?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

It is the probably the strut cushins and nothing to worry about.

If you don't know how to check ball joints, message me and I will explain.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
At 1.6" you will need the CC plates, however not likely any bumpsteer related stuff (offset bushings, extended tie-rod ends, etc.)

Mine is dropped a bit more than that on the front-end (1-3/4") and I have no bumpsteer issues of any sort. Even when taking the far less than smooth exit off I-95N and on to Jacksonville's Main Street bridge at speeds quite a bit higher than the posted 55--in fact high enough that I do not care to commit them to a forum posting...
Haha! understood. I do have some tramlining issues. Im thinking (hoping) That a bumpsteer kit helps me out. Stock suspension still, and wheels and tires.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

At 1.6" you will need the CC plates, however not likely any bumpsteer related stuff (offset bushings, extended tie-rod ends, etc.)

Mine is dropped a bit more than that on the front-end (1-3/4") and I have no bumpsteer issues of any sort. Even when taking the far less than smooth exit off I-95N and on to Jacksonville's Main Street bridge at speeds quite a bit higher than the posted 55--in fact high enough that I do not care to commit them to a forum posting...
The bold portion tells you everything you need to know in this statement....that area is rough as can be! I couldn't imagine much more than 60 even being a sane choice....
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
The bold portion tells you everything you need to know in this statement....that area is rough as can be! I couldn't imagine much more than 60 even being a sane choice....
Nice. Im not familiar with that area, but glad you can back him up.

I will cease here and get back to the OP's thread. Feeling kinda like a jerk now....lol
Old 11-21-2011, 09:52 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevednmc
I will cease here and get back to the OP's thread. Feeling kinda like a jerk now....lol
It's all good. It was an on topic discussion. I too am wondering if the OP got to try this, and if it fixed his issues.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
I have done it at 80+ from where Atlantic Boulevard joins, backing off to 65 or so at the hard right onto South Main Street before the bridge--I usually go through there before 4:30 am so the traffic is very light/none...
Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevednmc
Haha! understood. I do have some tramlining issues. Im thinking (hoping) That a bumpsteer kit helps me out. Stock suspension still, and wheels and tires.
Tramlining is as much a 'feature' with the tires as it is the rest of the suspension, at least that is my experience.

I have done it at 80+ from where Atlantic Boulevard joins, backing off to 65 or so at the hard right onto South Main Street before the bridge--I usually go through there before 4:30 am so the traffic is very light/none...
Cliffy is a far braver soul than I am... well that and his car is set up a lot better than mine is. But then I rarely take that route also.

OP how is your alignment? Does the popping only happen in certain circumstances, or all of the time when turning?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:05 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
Tramlining is as much a 'feature' with the tires as it is the rest of the suspension, at least that is my experience.

OP how is your alignment? Does the popping only happen in certain circumstances, or all of the time when turning?

Yeah, that seems to be the case from what ive been reading. Not really a big deal, but dont wanna make it worse by lowering my car either.

@ CLiffy You are apparently crazy! good for you!!

Op....have you abandoned this thread? We all want to know what you have found out!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:32 AM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Gentlemen, I apologize for my absence; I am active duty Infantry, forgive my less than prompt response. When I'm able to get time for a computer, it's a cherished event. Ha

I had a friend turn the wheel back and forth while looking underneath and I can clearly see the rack moving in conjunction with the clicking/popping sounds. Order new bushings? Or am I in need to perform the orders in the TSB that was previously posted? (thank you btw)

I'm on post (Fort Riley), no lathe or vice to use a hacksaw at the shop where I installed the LM1s. (TSB).

Thoughts?

Last edited by 01GTDropTop; 11-23-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:58 AM
01GTDropTop
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT

Alignment is spot on; popping is only heard at low speeds/stop when turning the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: Balljoints popping or?