4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

yet another clicking/knocking thread-need some wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 PM
HuntMarsh
1st Gear Member

Exclamation yet another clicking/knocking thread-need some wisdom

99 mustang gt auto all stock DD.
i'm getting a rather loud clicking/knocking noise coming from my engine. from the bay, it seems like its right up top, if anything the passenger side valve cover, but with the hood closed and engine running, it sounds like its coming from underneath, where the tranny meets up to the block. it starts immediately when the engine starts, is loudest at idle, and given a little gas, the frequency does increase with rpm's although gets a little fainter. over the past week its gone from barely noticeable at idle, to extremely loud and annoying.

i've been all researching miracle oils and and oil weights all day trying to hopefully find some sort of easy fix, but it's now dawning on me it wont be all that easy.

my question to you is this: where the heck do i even start to diagnose this thing?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:16 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

First i would narrow down where its coming from. Get yourself a mechanics stethoscope or even just a screwdriver (metal end down please, lol!) and start listening for it. just move around the engine bay and down to the transmission if you have to to locate it. Once you have a better idea of where its coming from post back for further help from someone smarter than me....(ie Jazzer CliffyK...anyone else....lol)
Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 PM
HuntMarsh
1st Gear Member

i posted that first post, then went around with a shop-vac tube as a stethoscope and located the strongest sound on the......(drumroll please)........torque converter.

please somebody tell me this isnt bad.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:02 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Likely not the torque converter itself, but its possible. Problem is it might be a bearing in the transmission, input shaft bearing is what im thinking without hearing..How many miles do you have on it?