4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Handling Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Spilly

Default Handling Question

I tried searching around but I have yet to find anything.

I recently traded in my '09 Civic Si in on a '03 Cobra. I love the car and it's crazy how much more power it has. Just makes my civic feel like riding a moped.

I used to autocross my civic a good bit and I was pretty good. I even started getting the heel toe stuff down.

On to my question. On corner exit my civic would never get sideways when I applied the throttle. If anything it would push the front end. This was very easy to drive. This cobra, on the other hand, swings the back end way out if I give it too much gas.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong? How can I fix/change this? Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry if I'm being a noob...
Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spilly
I tried searching around but I have yet to find anything.

I recently traded in my '09 Civic Si in on a '03 Cobra. I love the car and it's crazy how much more power it has. Just makes my civic feel like riding a moped.

I used to autocross my civic a good bit and I was pretty good. I even started getting the heel toe stuff down.

On to my question. On corner exit my civic would never get sideways when I applied the throttle. If anything it would push the front end. This was very easy to drive. This cobra, on the other hand, swings the back end way out if I give it too much gas.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong? How can I fix/change this? Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry if I'm being a noob...
That is just a low power front wheel drive vs a high powered rear wheel drive. Either get some better tires, or learn to control the car a little bit better.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:28 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

LOL
You bought the wrong car if the back end stepping out on throttle is a problem for you.

It will just take a little time to learn the throttle control required to bring it out of corners strong without wrecking it.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy your new found power : )
Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The Civic didn't have enough power to get into trouble, if it had you would have found out about the limitations of FWD/WDW (Wrong Wheel Drive) very quickly--it's all great right up until it hits the fan, then there is no recovery...

OTH with RWD (Right (proper) Wheel Drive) you can lets things get real loose and bring it back--practice some more and you will find out what driving a real car is like...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Spilly

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The Civic didn't have enough power to get into trouble, if it had you would have found out about the limitations of FWD/WDW (Wrong Wheel Drive) very quickly--it's all great right up until it hits the fan, then there is no recovery...

OTH with RWD (Right (proper) Wheel Drive) you can lets things get real loose and bring it back--practice some more and you will find out what driving a real car is like...
Well I feel silly now...

Another question. Wouldn't it make more sense for the car to turn both of the wheels instead of the right one? I think you might be mistaken there, because when I lay rubber I see two skid marks.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Well I feel silly now...

Another question. Wouldn't it make more sense for the car to turn both of the wheels instead of the right one? I think you might be mistaken there, because when I lay rubber I see two skid marks.
That's not what I meant by "Right Wheel Drive", it's "right" as in "Correct Wheel Drive", as opposed to front wheel drive being "Wrong Wheel Drive"...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Spilly

Oh... I'm full of fail this morning.

I really liked the way the honda handled. Is there anything I can do to make it like that?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:09 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Oh... I'm full of fail this morning.

I really liked the way the honda handled.
Then you never drove it very hard, or as I said earlier it didn't have enough power to get into trouble--read this, an older dissertation but still quite accurate, and this...

Is there anything I can do to make it like that?
Reading the above linked documents should answer this...
Old 12-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Spilly

Can I make my cobra front wheel drive? I think I would enjoy it a lot more. I keep scaring myself with rear wheel drive.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I'm done--anyone else want to take a swat at this?

Quick Reply: Handling Question