4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM
gravik

Default Couple of questions

First post here. I just had a couple of questions. I've always been a Mustang guy.

Come spring time I'm going to be in the market for a new car and as of now I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, which happen to be complete opposites (E36 BMW M3 or a Mustang GT)

I was just wondering. How do the repair costs on the Mustang compare with a BMW of a similar year? And the next question is on reliability? I read some reviews and people were syaing these are pretty expensive cars to fix. is that true? How are they when they break that 100k marker?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 PM
onewheat

Seriously? A BMW would be WAY more expensive on maintenance than a Mustang. BMW parts and labor rates are both higher than Fords. If you are going to keep it for only a couple years (like in a lease) BMW may have included maintenance up to 100k or so. I had a friend with a 540 and he dumped it right at 100k because his extended warranty was up. He thought it was way too expensive to maintain vs what the value of the car still was. Just my $0.02 though.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

^^^^and your $0.02 cents be good..
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Agreeing with the others here...Beemers are more labour intensive to fix. The Germans buid great cars, but they are engineered to be more difficult to work on (most people who own BMW's dont do their own work). The mustang is much easier, and YOU can do alot of it. Pretty staright forward in comparison. Parts are also cheaper for a stang, and you have alot od options in the aftermarket as well.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Mike Hadz
1st Gear Member

with just regular maintenance stangs will happily a lot of miles, mines at 97k right now running strong, like i said, just regular maintenance required, like someone else told me, these 4.6's are commonly used in police cars/taxis because of their reliability and durability, buy a stang !
Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
WishIhadaTerminator

Originally Posted by gravik
First post here. I just had a couple of questions. I've always been a Mustang guy.

Come spring time I'm going to be in the market for a new car and as of now I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, which happen to be complete opposites (E36 BMW M3 or a Mustang GT)

I was just wondering. How do the repair costs on the Mustang compare with a BMW of a similar year? And the next question is on reliability? I read some reviews and people were syaing these are pretty expensive cars to fix. is that true? How are they when they break that 100k marker?
+1 to what everyone said here. BMW's are great cars, but unless you want to pay through the nose for repairs, the GT is the way to go. Not that they are known for breaking down...but when it does it's gonna cost you. Parts are MUCH more expensive, and chances are you'll end up paying someone else to do work on it.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 PM
gravik

Mustangs sound so good....And yeah with the Bimmer it all depends on how the PO treated it. If you get one that's been taken care of and maintained properly, then the only thing you should expect to do in the first year or so is oil changes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f81jQquFw
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 AM
chaos98

got to agree with everyone about the stang. i work next to a bmw repair shop and an oil change cost about $100.00!! special tools for everything! stick with the stang. have over 142k and still running strong!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:18 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Bmw.... Lol
Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 AM
!KLeech!
1st Gear Member

if youve got the money for a bmw then hell yeah buy a bmw lol

Quick Reply: Couple of questions