4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help identify LCA/UCA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default Help identify LCA/UCA?

I bought this car a little over a month ago and snapped some shots while it was on the lift at the exhaust shop. I had an 07 before this car so I'm not up to speed on the parts for the 00-04's...

I'm sure someone will be able to ID them quick, thanks for the help guys! That rust is nasty btw lol...
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I believe they are both older generation Granatelli's.

The UCA's are a horrible design (not the manufacturer, just the design) and recommend you swap them for OEM or ones with a spherical end, as those introduce MASSIVE amounts of bind in your 4-link. The LCA's also introduce some bind, just not as detrimental. If you are into DD and the 1/4 mile, you really need to swap the uppers out with a spherical ended UCA. If you are a DD that is into the corners, I would ask that you swap both sets with spherical ended arms. But, before you do either of these things, I would ask you this....

What are the ultimate goals for your car?

Jazzer
Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

I'm glad you chimed in Jazzer, I spent an hour at work just reading through your post on suspension. Right now the car is a DD, but my ultimate goal is a fun and quick HANDLING car, much like yourself I do plan to turbo it in the near future, but I had an 07 that was very nasty in corners and I loved it. Might try some autocrossing sometime, but in general I just want a fun car for the streets. When I do turbo it I probably wont go much over 5 psi, but I plan to have a solid suspension setup. I figured I needed to change out the uppers, but you think the lowers as well huh?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I would replace one or both, depending on how commited you are to having a serious corner-carving Mustang!

If you are really looking to hug corner, you need to loose the UCA's, as you have no doubt seen in the suspension guide. A set of sphercial bearings on them would help to reduce bind, but would not rid yourself of the lousy roll center out back leading to poor cornering. If you are willing to invest probably $1500 (assuming you have a completely OEM ride, to this point), then I would steer you toward a PHB or WL with TA set-up.

BUT..... if you want to get into AX, this gets a bit tricker, I'm afraid. I would NOT recommend you hit up the AX course in your current UCA's, as the binding would be very bad and can be detrimental to your torque boxes. I would recommend you re-install a set of OEM uppers and then do 8~10 AX event, then mod your suspension. It is best to learn such aggressive driving in as close to OEM ride as you can, to learn good driving skills and not be allowed to "cheat" with suspension parts that address the shortcomings of a cars needs.

Have you done any AX or HPDE's to this point?

Jazzer
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

I haven't done any AX yet no, done some pretty "spirited" driving in some of the hills and whatnot, I like to have fun but that sounds like a good start. If I ended up doing the turbo before I do anything past putting the stock uppers back on you think that will be best? Part of the turbo install would be a tubular k member, a arms and some coilovers. I would love to go WL though.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

So suspension or turbo first? jk. Jazzer is a smart guy, and a cool peep to chill with.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:05 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

We need to all get together for some twisties someday, I know your IRS would love that
Old 12-14-2011, 02:01 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by xxDerek
We need to all get together for some twisties someday, I know your IRS would love that
Yes it would! We wont invite Mike though, his car can only run straight lol jkjk
Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Derek... Reinstall a set of OEM uppers and call it good for now. I am not a fan of your design of lowers, but really not that big a deal at all. Do your turbo, "K", "A"s, and CO's and see how she does.

If your looking to do corners, you should stick with those who design this stuff specifically for such use.... MM & Griggs. Others will work, offer a bit more room and be less expensive, but hard cornering is VERY stressful to the "K", so don't recommend you mess with less.

Jazzer

PS. Crash and I met a couple years ago in Berkeley. He brought his gal and I brought mine, but is now my wife. I can't find any pictures, as I thought I took some We didn't have much more than time for lunch, but was a great guy and maybe do it again some day
Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

This is craaaaaaaaaaaaashhhhhhh and wanna play with twistiesss most as bad assss twisterrrr in a spedoooooo.

Quick Reply: Help identify LCA/UCA?