4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sequential Taillight Issue

Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default Sequential Taillight Issue

Okay so when I bought this car it had sequential taillights already done. Just the other day I noticed when I turned my blinker on it was blinking real fast. Turns out on the right rear taillight only the 1st bulb was blinking. I assumed it was the bulbs, so today I changed out my taillights to tinted tails I bought from a buddy and changed out the bulbs to new ones. The problem persisted. I'm assuming it has to be the sequential module because the lights work fine when they are at "idle" like when the headlights are on, but the 2nd and 3rd wont blink when I use the blinker or hit the brakes. I took pictures of the module and the way it's setup and hope someone can identify it or give me a possible solution. At this point I'm assuming I have to replace that module. Thanks guys.

By xxderek at 2011-12-16

By xxderek at 2011-12-16

By xxderek at 2011-12-16

By xxderek at 2011-12-16

By xxderek at 2011-12-16

On a happy note, the tinted tails looks amazing

Last edited by xxDerek; 12-17-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Didn't realize the pictures were so big, sorry guys lol
Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That module is "potted" with epoxy, so there is no repair possible--are there no markings on the module to indicate who might have made it? I does not look DIY...
Old 12-17-2011, 03:17 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

What do you mean "potted"? and no there were no markings at all from what I could tell, but I was also in a hurry so I guess fail on my part, I could take another look. I agree it doesn't look DIY, but I've searched around for all the kits around and none of them look like this
Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Potted is the term for electrical/electronic modules that are put into one end of an open container, and then the container if filled with a liquid (epoxy, acrylic, etc.) that hardens--sort of like a potted plant.

The thing is that once they have been potted there's generally no way to open it up without destroying the whole thing...
Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

/Great, so what would you suggest for the next step? Just cut em both out?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

They all connect pretty much the same, and use a modified inside socket, so just buy a new module and wire it up--or as you said just yank 'em out and forget about it. They largely are just something that is of little interest, mostly to people you don't know.

Have you examined the module on the "other" side--maybe it has some indication of who made it?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Nah I'm gonna do that on my next day off. So really it doesn't matter who makes it or what, if I just wire in a new module of whatever kind that is made to do sequentials it should work fine right?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There may be a difference in the sequence speed, however as both signals are usually not on at the same time (I think there are with the hazard flashers on) who'll know?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
There may be a difference in the sequence speed, however as both signals are usually not on at the same time (I think there are with the hazard flashers on) who'll know?
Ehhh that might bug me lol, probably just cut em out I dunno, thanks for all your help man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sequential Taillight Issue