4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4v cooling system - overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:30 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default 4v cooling system - overheating

Hey,

Everything's been fine with the DOHC swap for quite a while now, but I've had an interesting problem show up lately.

I'm using the lincoln continental coolant crossover for now because I don't have an head cooling mod installed yet. The continental coolant crossover already has a fitting for the heater core circuit.

Because of that the set of radiator hoses for a cobra I bought do not fit. I've had to do a little fiddling. Which presents me with a new problem.

The hoes that goes from the thermostat housing to the block, on the bypass circuit SUCKS CLOSED at middle-to-high RPM. This hose was supplied by on3 and I can visually see it close up when the RPM goes up. It's obviously causing the coolant flow in the engine to basically stop. The coolant then boils and pukes out all over the place.

I'm really tired of pouring more coolant into the thing because of this. It's gotten to the point now where it's closed over 1800 RPM or so. Because I've got 3.73's, I can't take the car on the highway any more.

I -do- have the wrong thermostat in the car. I've got the GT thermostat which doesn't close the bypass circuit. But I'm confused as to how this whole thing works.

If the cobra thermostat closes the bypass circuit when the thermostat is closed, how does the thermostat eventually open? What am I misunderstanding about the cooling system?

If anyone is willing to help me get this issue figured out I'll be more than happy to go in depth and provide diagrams and such of the way I have the system setup... I can at the very least get a video immediately of what's happening.

I know swapping to the cobra thermostat is supposed to help. And I've got one in hand. But if the hose for the thermostat/lower radiator outlet is sucking closed anyway, what's the point?

Help!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 PM
wifes pony
1st Gear Member

They make aluminum hoses for that problem besides that you could habe air gaps. All air must be removed to keep it flowing and cool