4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Grease fittings.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:34 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default Grease fittings.

Does not look like i have any except for one sticking out of the brake caliper. IDK what that goes to. Isnt the sn95 sealed off? so I dont have to grease anything? also whats up with the fitting on the brake caliper?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:48 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

there should be no grease fitting on the caliper. Are you assuming the caliper bleeder screw is a grease fitting?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:14 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Red face

Originally Posted by BraMas
there should be no grease fitting on the caliper. Are you assuming the caliper bleeder screw is a grease fitting?
Thats what I thought it was. just checking.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:49 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Good thing you didnt just stick a grease gun on there! Ive seen the results, and it isnt pretty....
Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by stevednmc
Good thing you didnt just stick a grease gun on there! Ive seen the results, and it isnt pretty....
Ummm it woudnt of done anything since the bleeder is closed.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:16 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Party pooper...
Old 12-25-2011, 11:48 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Ummmmmm....yeah, it did...the guy opened them. He turned them out and stuck the grease gun on there.....He went to special lengths of idiocy...It was a hell of a mess when he got done....!
Old 12-25-2011, 11:55 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Even if the screw was closed, it would have still made a mess as the grease comes squirting out over everything else... just not a fatal mistake as it would only be a cosmetic mess.
Now I am going to step out on a limb... What about aftermarket parts such as ball joints, could they not have zerks (or however that is spelled... grease fittings)?
Old 12-25-2011, 12:16 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
Even if the screw was closed, it would have still made a mess as the grease comes squirting out over everything else... just not a fatal mistake as it would only be a cosmetic mess.
Now I am going to step out on a limb... What about aftermarket parts such as ball joints, could they not have zerks (or however that is spelled... grease fittings)?
Certainly, after market ball joints or anything for that matter can have grease fittings. Personally i look for parts that do, I always consider that a bonus if it comes with them, or provisions for them.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

They could of course have Zerk fittings, some do, however because of significant improvements in synthetic "rubbers" modern boots and seals last much longer and are much better fitted than they were 25 years ago when grease fittings started disappearing.

If, for instance a modern ball joint, with the boot clamped top and bottom:

were to have a grease fitting all that would be accomplished with a grease gun would be to blow the boot (or it's clamps) apart--hardly the desired outcome...

------------
Note: A high quality female Zerk coupling would not squirt grease all over if connected to a blocked fitting or brake bleeder. I've had hoses blow on pneumatic guns before the coupling leaked.

Quick Reply: Grease fittings.