4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Parts ordered...how much $ and rwhp???

Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Load the transmission with 3.2 qts (or just 3, that's what I run) of Mobil 1 ATF, then see what it feels like. Has the tranny juice every been changed? If not then it is overfilled, or if the shop changed it ask them how much they used?

The recommended fill is 3.0 L, 3.2 qt, per this TSB...

As to the noise in neutral being cause for a new tranny, that's a crock--mine has been noisy (you can hear the mainshaft turning over) since I got it--over 5 years and 105k miles ago. Many 3650's make the same noise with just the mainshaft spinning.

How "custom" is the tune? A solid tune, "hands on" optimized for 93 octane and your car, should get you to 250 rwHP with your mods, though the BBK CAI may hurt that a bit. An after market upper plenum and 70 mm TB will add another 8 to 10 HP with a good tune.

I have seen a half-dozen dead stock GTs up on the rollers, the lowest (a ratty '02) churned out 209 rwHP, the highest (a clean Bullitt) was 228 rwHP--the average, throwing out the low and high, was 220; which is very close to the claims 260 fwHP less 15% drivetrain loss = 221 at the wheels...
Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 PM
lil oh

I read the TSB and about 100 posts about which fluid to use and just had the shop do that...made sure they knew the 3.0L requirement and had them use snycromesh as it seemed to get the best reviews (shop agreed).

I also get a rattle when letting off the clutch, especially in reverse. I'm still breaking in the clutch but this noise isn't new...they mentioned some type of issue in the trans but at that point I wasn't even listening.

It does have a dyno custom 93 tune...I think he said he got 6rwhp after the tune.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I hate to say it, but you are putting down about what I figured (or possibly a few more rwhp). An O/R X and a tune isn't likely to get an average GT to 250rwhp. However, remember that a dyno is a tuning tool and NOT a perfect way to measure power output.

The real question is... Does the car feel better when you drive it? A peak power number doesn't always tell the story about the power you are making. The goal is to increase the area under your power curve. The peak number is more for bench racers to compare and brag over.

I would be a little skeptical about the trans. Do not replace it without taking the car to a good trans shop for another opinion. I would not tell them what the first shop said about it.

The vibration sound WILL be much amplified by the addition of a STS. The factory rubber mounts dampen a lot of noise. Solid materials will transmit those sounds into the passenger compartment of your car.

I would NOT recommend the syncromesh fluid for your trans. The Mobil1 ATF or AMSOIL ATF are the best two options. Many guys have had bad results with the syncromesh. Draining and replacing that fluid is another pretty simple task you can do yourself before you drop a lot of money of a new trans.

I hate that you have disappointing results from your mod expenditure!
GOOD LUCK on getting the trans into better working order!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by lil oh
I just ordered a few parts and I'm curious what others think I'll be putting down and paying out (including labor).

Clutch (not sure brand but stage 1 $250 range)
FRPP 3.73 gears
SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Tuner w/ custom tune
MGW short throw shifter
SLP catted X pipe (labor should be free with tranny out)

I ordered the parts through a shop specializing in mustangs thats also installing everything. I have an SLP LM2 catback and BBK CAI now. Hoping this puts me at 250rwhp and costs less than $2k. Realistic?
If anything, the gears, with no real HP gain; but in the SOTP's it will feel like 30-40 hp.