4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coil pack questing here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:04 AM
05StangZz
1st Gear Member

Default Coil pack questing here.

Buddy of mine has an 04 stang GT. 5 speed. His CEL came on and when he got the code it was for single/multiple cylinder misfire.. I unfortunately dont have the code number .
Anyways we are thinking the obvious, either plugs or coil packs misfiring, and since the coil packs are coming off to change the plugs, we may as well replace them as well. Cover all bases.
So the question i guess is what coil packs work well with these 4.6's. Just would like to hear some real world opinions and not just a couple reviews on american muscle.
For mods he just has a BBk TB, a CAI and a tune, not sure what company did the tune.

Sorry for the long winded post! Im bad at this stuff lol
Old 01-10-2012, 06:23 AM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05StangZz
Buddy of mine has an 04 stang GT. 5 speed. His CEL came on and when he got the code it was for single/multiple cylinder misfire.. I unfortunately dont have the code number .
Anyways we are thinking the obvious, either plugs or coil packs misfiring, and since the coil packs are coming off to change the plugs, we may as well replace them as well. Cover all bases.
So the question i guess is what coil packs work well with these 4.6's. Just would like to hear some real world opinions and not just a couple reviews on american muscle.
For mods he just has a BBk TB, a CAI and a tune, not sure what company did the tune.

Sorry for the long winded post! Im bad at this stuff lol
The best are msd in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The COP Info sticky will be a good place to start.

How many miles on the '04, have the plugs ever been changed?

The misfire detection system monitors crankshaft acceleration and determines that a misfire has occurred when its acceleration is abnormal. While misfiring is often ignition related, the misfire monitor has no idea what caused the problem--it could be ignition, fueling, compression and/or some other cause.

COPs are blamed for misfires far more often than is true, Ford says that half of them returned from warranty repairs (from dealer shops) have nothing wrong with them.

So, before buying new COPs check the boots for signs of arcing, hardening, cracks, etc.--there are also resistance checks that can be performed--see the sticky.

You can also use an adjustable gap tester:

to check the COP's actual output.
  • Disable the fuel pump by unplugging the inertia fuel shutoff switch in the trunk, or by pulling the fuel pump fuse (#14 in the battery junction box);
  • Start the engine and run it until it stops (runs out of fuel);
  • Set the tester to a 3/8" or so gap;
  • Remove the COPs one at a time and connect the tester, crank the engine over and observe the spark;

If the COP can fire across a 3/8" air gap there is nothing wrong with it...